When you sign in with your Apple ID on a device and use that device to make purchases or subscribe to Apple services, the device becomes associated with your account.
You don't need to associate your devices to buy content or download new purchases. You can remove an associated device if:
- You reach your limit of associations and want to add a new one.
- You can't redownload purchases from the App Store or iTunes Store.
- You want to sell or give away an associated device.
View or remove your associated devices on a Mac or PC
- Open the Apple Music app on Mac or iTunes for Windows.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Account > View My Account. You might need to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Scroll to the iTunes in the Cloud section, then click Manage Devices. You’ll see the list of devices associated with your account for purchases. If none of your devices are associated with your Apple ID, you won't see this section.
- Click Remove to the right of a device if you want disassociate it. If you can’t remove a device, you might have to sign out of your Apple ID on that device or wait up to 90 days to associate it with another Apple ID.
Remove your associated iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings > [your name], then tap iTunes & App Store.
- Tap your Apple ID.
- Tap View Apple ID. You might be asked to sign in.
- Scroll to the iTunes in the Cloud section, then tap Remove This Device.
More about associated devices
You can have ten devices (no more than five computers) associated with your Apple ID for purchases at one time.
When you try to associate another device that was previously associated, you might see a message that says, "This device is associated with another Apple ID. You cannot associate this device with another Apple ID for [number] days." Depending on when you associated your device with your Apple ID, you might need to wait up to 90 days to associate the device with another Apple ID.
This list of associated devices is not the same as the list of devices that you're currently signed in to with your Apple ID. You can see where you're signed in on your Apple ID account page.