When you turn on Automatic Downloads or Automatic Updates, your device associates with your Apple ID.
If you don't want to turn on Automatic Downloads, you can redownload purchases from your other devices.
If you use Family Sharing and turn on Automatic Downloads, content that other members of your family group buys doesn't automatically download to your devices. Only content that you purchase with your Apple ID downloads automatically. And if you turn on Automatic Updates, only apps that you purchase update automatically.
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and macOS.
- Make sure you have the latest iOS.
- Sign in to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and your computer with the same Apple ID.
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store.
- Turn on the content that you want to automatically download.
After you turn on Automatic Downloads for music, apps, or books and audiobooks on all of your devices, all new purchases that you make in the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Books on any device download automatically to all of your devices.
To get Automatic Updates for apps, turn on Updates. Any new versions of apps that you currently have on your device will automatically download when they're available.
You can also turn on or turn off Automatic Downloads over your cellular network on an iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular. Go to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store and turn Use Cellular Data on or off. Cellular Data downloads are limited to a file size of 200 MB or smaller.
On your computer
You can turn on Automatic Downloads for apps for your Mac in the App Store; for music, movies, and TV shows in iTunes; and for books in Apple Books.
- Open the App Store.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose App Store > Preferences.
- To turn on Automatic Downloads, select "Automatically download apps purchased on other Macs." To turn on Automatic Updates, select Automatic Updates.
- Open iTunes. If you haven't authorized your computer, choose Store > Authorize This Computer from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen.
- Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
Windows: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.
- Click the Downloads tab, then select the content that you want to automatically download.
- Click OK.
- Open Apple Books.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Books > Preferences. Then click the Store tab.
- Select "Download new purchases automatically."
- If prompted, sign in with your Apple ID.