Making an archive of what you keep in iCloud is one more way to keep an extra copy of your information. Then if you accidentally delete an important contact, email, or document, you can restore it from iCloud or from another copy that you have.
iCloud Drive files
Use these steps to copy files from your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iCloud.com, or PC. If you copy a file from a shared folder in iCloud Drive to another folder, it does not also copy sharing access. Learn more about folder sharing.
If a file is optimized in iCloud Drive, it downloads to your device before being copied to the new location.
Copy files from iCloud Drive to your Mac
- Click iCloud Drive in the sidebar of any Finder window.
- Select the files that you want to copy.
- From the Edit menu, click Copy Items, then paste the files in the new location.
Copy files from the Files app on your iPhone or iPad
Use these steps for iPhone:
- Open the Files app and choose Browse to show locations.
- Tap iCloud Drive in Locations, then tap More.
- Tap Select, then choose the files and folders you want to copy.
- Choose how you want to send a copy of the file. Tap More, then tap Copy Items.
- Go to On my Device or another cloud service in Locations.
- Touch and hold a folder in the new location, then tap Paste.
Use these steps for iPad:
- Open the Files app and choose iCloud Drive under Locations in the sidebar.
- Tap Select, then choose the files and folders that you want to copy.
- Tap More, then tap Copy Items.
- Go to On My iPad or another cloud service in Locations.
- Touch and hold a folder in the new location, then tap Paste.
If the new location doesn't appear in Locations, you can send a copy of the files using AirDrop, Messages, or Mail.
Copy files from iCloud.com
Use these steps to download files stored in iCloud Drive, or files that are accessible from iWork apps on iCloud.com:
- Sign in to iCloud.com.
- Open iCloud Drive.
- Find and select the file.
- Click Download at the top of the page or double-click the file. The document downloads to your default downloads location.
Copy files from Windows
If you turned on iCloud Drive using iCloud for Windows on a PC, you can copy your files from the iCloud Drive folder in File Explorer. You can also copy your files from iCloud.com.
If you need help with any third-party data that is stored on iCloud, contact the app developer directly. Third-party data might use your iCloud storage, even if you can't see the details.
Photos and videos
If you use iCloud Photos, your photos and videos are automatically uploaded to iCloud at full resolution.
Download copies of your photos and videos from your device
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. Then select Download and Keep Originals and import the photos to your computer.
- On your Mac, open the Photos app. Select the photos and videos you want to copy. Choose File > Export.
- On your PC, make sure that you set up iCloud for Windows and turn on iCloud Photos. Open File Explorer. In the Navigation pane, click iCloud Photos, then select the images you want to keep on your PC. Right-click the selection and choose "Always keep on this device." If you use iCloud for Windows 10 or earlier, learn how to download your photos. After the items download, copy them to another folder on your computer. To do this, press and hold the Ctrl key and drag the items to the folder. Include this folder if you back up your computer.
Download copies of your photos and videos from iCloud.com
If you want to download a few photos or videos, use iCloud.com to download the most recent version of photos and videos.
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to iCloud.com, tap Photos, and tap Select. Then select the photos and videos you want to download, and tap More . Select Download, then tap Download again to confirm. Your photos and videos will download as a .zip file to iCloud Drive.
- On your Mac or PC, just go to iCloud.com and click Photos. Then select the photos and videos you want to download and click Download .
If you don't have iCloud Drive turned on, you can find the .zip file you downloaded in the Files app under Downloads or Recents.
Copy photos from Shared Albums
You can also use the steps below to manually copy photos and videos. Comments or likes connected to a shared photo aren't saved, and photos and videos saved from shared albums aren't full resolution.
Copy photos from Shared Albums on your iPhone or iPad
- Open Photos and tap Albums.
- Find Shared Albums, then tap the name of the album that you want. You might need to swipe left to find the shared album.
- Save photos from the album using one of these methods:
- Tap an image to open it, then tap Share . To select more images, scroll the images left or right and tap the ones you want to save. Tap Save Image.
- Tap Select, then tap the images you want to save. Tap Share , then tap Save Image.
- Import the photos to your computer.
Copy photos and videos from Shared Albums on your Mac
Follow these steps to manually import photos and videos in shared albums to your Photos library:
- Open Photos and select Shared Albums.
- Double-click a shared album.
- Control click (or right-click) a photo and choose Import.
After you import your photos, you might want to back up your library. You can store them as a separate library on your computer or on a different drive.
Copy photos and videos from Shared Albums in Windows
Saved photos are available even if you turn off Photos in iCloud for Windows. To save photos and videos from a shared album, you must save them to another folder on your hard drive:
- Open iCloud for Windows.
- Click Options next to Photos. Note the path listed under iCloud Photos location.
- Open a File Explorer window (Windows 8 or later) or Windows Explorer window (Windows 7).
- Go to the iCloud Photos folder using the above path. Open the Shared folder.
- Select the photos you want to save, then copy them to another folder on your computer. To do this, press and hold the Ctrl key and drag the items to your folder. Include this folder if you back up your computer.
For information on backing up your Windows computer, see Microsoft Support.
Download photos from My Photo Stream on your iPhone or iPad
Photos in My Photo Stream download to your Mac automatically. Use these steps to download them to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Tap Photos, then tap the Albums tab.
- Tap My Photo Stream.
- Tap Select, then tap all the photos you want to save.
- Tap Share , then tap Save Image.
My Photo Stream is shutting down on July 26, 2023. Learn more about this transition and how to use iCloud Photos to keep your photos up to date across all your devices.
Learn how to move, delete, or copy iCloud email on your Mac.
Export a copy of your Safari bookmarks on your Mac:
- Choose File > Export > Bookmarks.
- Choose where you want to export the file, then click Save. The file’s name is Safari Bookmarks.html unless you change it.
To export a copy of your Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Microsoft Internet Explorer bookmarks, see the Mozilla, Google, or Microsoft steps for exporting bookmarks.
Use the steps below to export contacts from your Mac, iCloud.com, or PC.
Export contacts on your Mac
- Open Contacts.
- Select All Contacts.
- Click a contact in the Contacts list.
- Choose File > Export > Export vCard or choose Edit > Select All to select all cards for export.
- Choose where you want to save the files, then click Save.
If you use lists, consider archiving your entire Contacts or Address Book database as well as exporting vCards. The vCard method above copies your contacts, but not lists. Archives are more complex, but you might not be able to restore data using Archives while connected to the Internet and signed in to iCloud.
To export an archive, open Contacts and choose File > Export > Contacts Archive.
Export contacts from iCloud.com
Export contacts in Outlook on your PC
Use the steps below to export a calendar from your Mac, iCloud.com, or PC.
Export a calendar on your Mac
- In Calendar, click the calendar’s name. If you don’t see your calendars, click Calendars.
- Choose File > Export > Export.
- Choose a location for the file, and then click Export.
Download a calendar from iCloud.com
- Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID and open Calendar.
- Publicly share the calendar.
- Copy the URL of the shared calendar and paste it into the address field in your browser. Don't click Enter or Return.
- Change "webcal" to "http" and click Enter or Return. An ICS file downloads to your default download location.
- Add the calendar to a calendar client, such as Calendar on Mac or Outlook on a Windows computer.
- Stop sharing the calendar.
iCloud Calendar keeps information from the last six months, and up to three years in the future.
Export a calendar in Outlook on your PC
- Open Outlook and go to your Calendar.
- Select the calendar you want to copy in the Calendar list.
- Deselect all other calendars.
- Choose File > Save Calendar.
- Click More Options to adjust the date range and amount of detail to include in the calendar. This varies depending on your version of Outlook.
- Click OK.
- Choose where you want to save the calendar, then click Save.
- Repeat with each calendar you want to copy.
Export a copy of your Reminders on your Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier:
- Open Reminders.
- Go to the reminder list that you want to export.
- Choose File > Export.
- Enter a name, choose a location, and then click Export.
Make a copy of a note on your Mac:
- Open the Notes app and select the note that you want.
- Click File > Export as PDF.
- Choose where to save the document to your computer.
Make a copy of a Voice Memo on your iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Voice Memos app and tap the recording that you want to duplicate.
- Tap More > Duplicate. You can also tap Share to send the recording via Messages or Mail, or to save it to Files.
On a Mac, simply drag the recording you want to duplicate to copy it to a new location, or tap Share to send the recording via Messages or Mail.
Remember to back up
iCloud backs up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch automatically each day when it's connected to a power source and Wi-Fi, and your device's screen is locked. If you choose to keep another copy, you can back up to your computer. You should also regularly back up your iOS and iPadOS devices. If you have a backup, you can restore your data if your computer or device is damaged or lost.