Drives installed in your computer or connected externally via FireWire should be formatted using the "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" disk format for the best performance with Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4.
You can check the format of a hard disk by selecting it in the Finder and then choosing Get Info from the File menu. The format is displayed in the Format section under General Information.
Formatting a disk using the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format
Important: If you have any files you want to save, be sure to back them up to another drive before you erase the drive they are on. Reformatting a drive will permanently erase all of the data on it.
- From the Finder, click the Go menu and choose Utilities.
- Open Disk Utility.
- Select the disk or partition and click Erase.
- Choose a format from the Format pop-up menu. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Type a name for the disk.
- If you want to prevent the erased files from being recovered, click Security Options, select the option you want, and click OK.
- Click Erase.