In the Items tab in Find My, you can keep track of personal items with an attached AirTag as well as compatible third-party products using the power of the Find My network, an encrypted, anonymous network of hundreds of millions of Apple devices. Devices in the Find My network use secure Bluetooth technology to detect your missing items nearby and report their approximate location back to you, so you can find them privately and securely.
Get started with your AirTag or compatible third-party product using the steps below.
Add an AirTag
- Make sure that your device is ready for setup.
- If your AirTag is new, remove the wrap around the product and then pull out the tab to activate the battery. Your AirTag will play a sound.
- Hold your AirTag near your iPhone or iPad, then tap Connect.* If you have multiple AirTags and see "More than one AirTag detected", make sure only one AirTag is near your device at one time. AirTag not connecting?
- Select an item name from the list, or select Custom Name to name your AirTag and choose an emoji. Then tap Continue.
- To register your AirTag with your Apple ID, tap Continue again.
- Tap Done.
Now you can attach your AirTag to your item and see it in the Find My app.
If you need more help setting up your AirTag, learn what to do.
* You can also pair your AirTag in the Find My app. Tap the Items tab, then tap Add Item.
Add a compatible third-party product
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions to begin the connection process.
- Open the Find My app on your iPhone or iPad.
- In the Items tab, tap Add New Item.
- Follow the onscreen steps to name it and register it to your Apple ID.
After you successfully add your item, you can see it on the map, play a sound if it’s nearby, enable Lost Mode, and get notified when it is found, depending on which features your item supports.
Learn more about how to find an item with Find My on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
If you need help
Make sure that your Apple ID is protected by two-factor authentication and that you're using the latest version of iOS or iPadOS or latest version of macOS. Then check the following on your iPhone or iPad:
- You turned on Bluetooth.
- You turned on Location Services, and that you have allowed Location Access for the Find My app. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and check that Location Services is on. Then scroll down and tap Find My. Check Ask Next Time, While Using the App, or While Using the App or Widgets. For the most accurate location, turn on Precise Location.