Here's what you need
With these Apple devices and software versions, you can use iWork collaboration with Box:
- A Mac with macOS Mojave and Pages 8.2, Numbers 6.2, or Keynote 9.2 or later
- An iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 12 and Pages 5.2, Numbers 5.2, or Keynote 5.2 or later
- An iPad with iOS 12 or iPadOS and Pages 5.2, Numbers 5.2, or Keynote 5.2 or later
- Box Drive for Mac 1.10 or later or Box Edit for Mac 4.0 or later, or Box 4.3.0 or later for your iPhone or iPad
With these browser versions, you can collaborate online:
- Safari 9 or later, or Google Chrome 50 or later for Mac
- Internet Explorer 11 or later or Google Chrome 50 or later for Windows PC
- Visit box.com and sign up for a personal1 Box account. Already have one? If so, go to the next step.
- If you have a personal account, sign in, then click or tap your initials in the top-right corner of the browser. Select Account Settings, then choose Integrations.
For enterprise accounts, Box Enterprise Admins can access Integrations settings in the Admin Console > Settings > Apps.
- To turn on iWork collaboration, select iWork Collaboration.
- To preview iWork documents online in Box, select iWork Previews.
1 To use iWork collaboration with a Box enterprise account, iWork collaboration must be turned on by your organization.
Collaborate on a Document
Once you set up Box and turn on iWork collaboration, you can automatically edit with others in real time on any iWork document that's already stored in Box.
- To start collaborating on a new document, move or save your document into Box:
- On Mac, drag your document to the Box folder in the Finder sidebar. If Box isn't in the Finder sidebar, open the Box app from the Applications folder.
- On iPhone or iPad, move or copy your document into Box using either the document manager in Pages, Numbers, or Keynote or the Files app.2
- Online in your Box account, sign in to your account, then drag the document to the All Files screen. Or, click Upload, choose File, then choose the document.
- To invite others, open your document from the Box folder, click or tap the Collaboration button , then invite people via box.com.
- After you've started collaborating, you can manage the document:
- To see who is currently editing the document, click or tap the Collaboration button .
- To set restrictions for who can view and make changes to your document, click or tap the Collaboration button , then tap
- Share Settings.
2 Make sure you've added Box to your Locations on your iPhone or iPad. Once you've added Box, you can move and copy documents into Box with the document manager and the Files app.
Edit when you’re offline
On your Mac, if you go offline when the document is open, you can continue to edit. When you reconnect, your edits are automatically incorporated into the document. If other participants have edited the document while you’re offline, a copy of the document might be created in the same folder as the original.
On your iPhone or iPad, you can’t edit collaborative documents while you’re offline. If you go offline, you'll be prompted to save a copy locally on your device. When you are back online, you can either upload the local copy to Box or copy the changes from the local copy and paste them into the original document.
Preview, edit, and create iWork documents online in Box
You can preview, edit, and create new iWork documents within a browser when signed in to your Box account.3 From the Files and Folders screen, here's what you can do:
- To preview an iWork document online in Box, select the document.
- To edit an iWork document online in Box, select the document, select Open in the toolbar, then choose Pages, Numbers, or Keynote on the Web.
- To create a new iWork document online in Box, click New. Then, choose a Pages document, Numbers spreadsheet, or Keynote presentation.
3 You can open a document of up to 1 GB on box.com. If your document is larger than 1 GB, use Pages, Numbers, or Keynote on iPhone, iPad, or Mac to reduce its size before trying to open it on box.com.
Terms and privacy
While using iWork collaboration or viewing an iWork preview or document on the web, your files will be temporarily stored on secure Apple servers.
If you have a personal Box account, you can turn off Box collaboration and previews on the Integrations tab of your Account Settings. If you have a Box enterprise account, please contact your organization.