- Update your iPad to the latest version of iPadOS. Go to Settings and tap the Software Update Available notification. If you don't see a notification, go to General > Software Update to see if an update is available.
- If you're using Magic Keyboard, make sure that you have iPadOS 14.5 or later.
- Remove any other iPad case or cover if you're using Magic Keyboard or Smart Keyboard Folio.
- Connect your Magic Keyboard or Smart Keyboard / Smart Keyboard Folio.
- If your keyboard doesn't immediately respond, restart your iPad.
- If your keyboard is not connecting, or if you're experiencing issues unrelated to connecting, contact Apple Support.
*For Magic Keyboard or Smart Keyboard Folio, you need: An iPad Air (4th or 5th generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation) or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd, 4th, or 5th generation).
For Smart Keyboard, you need: An iPad (7th, 8th, or 9th generation), iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Pro 9.7-inch, iPad Pro 10.5-inch, or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st or 2nd generation).