Mac Pro has a 6-channel memory controller that supports 12 memory slots you can use to install up to 1.5TB of memory using 2933MHz DDR4 ECC compliant memory DIMMs. To ensure compatibility, Apple recommends that you use Apple-approved memory. You can purchase Apple-approved memory online from the Apple Store or by visiting an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Reseller.
When you upgrade the memory in your Mac Pro, it must meet these requirements:
- 2933MHz DDR4 full-length DIMM. Mixing memory speeds is not recommended.
- Error-correcting code (ECC)
- 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB DIMMs
- Registered (R-DIMM) or Load-Reduced DIMM (LR-DIMM). Do not mix R-DIMMs and LR-DIMMs.
- Use the same size memory modules across all slots to maximize performance.
- DIMMs with heatsinks are not supported and may damage the DIMM mechanism.
The Mac Pro supports both R-DIMMs and LR-DIMMs, but you can't mix these two memory types. Mixing R-DIMMs and LR-DIMMs will result in a memory error flash of the status indicator light when you turn on your computer.
|Mac Pro model||Max RAM||Speed||Type|
|8-core||768GB||2666MHz DDR4 ECC||LR-DIMM or R-DIMM|
|12-core||768GB||2933MHz DDR4 ECC||LR-DIMM or R-DIMM|
|16-core||768GB||2933MHz DDR4 ECC||LR-DIMM or R-DIMM|
|24-core||1.5TB||2933MHz DDR4 ECC||LR-DIMM or R-DIMM|
|28-core||1.5TB||2933MHz DDR4 ECC||LR-DIMM or R-DIMM|
Configured from Apple, Mac Pro models include the following DIMM types:
- R-DIMMs for configurations up to 192GB (6x32GB).
- LR-DIMMs for configurations of 384GB (6x64GB) or more.
All memory included with your Mac Pro is 2933MHz. Mac Pro models with 8 core processors operate memory at 2666MHz.