Check your storage
If you're moving to a lower-capacity device, you might need to optimize or remove some of your existing content. Find out what takes up the most space on your device in Settings > General > and tap [Device] Storage. Learn more about usage on iOS.
Manage your storage
There are a few ways that you can manage or reduce the storage on your device.
Audio, movies, series, and books
Photos and videos
To reduce your usage with photos and videos, you can import photos and videos from your camera roll to your computer. To delete photos from your camera roll after you import them:
- Tap Select.
- Select the photos that you want to delete.
- Tap .
If you want to view the photos on your device after removing them from your camera roll, sync them from your iTunes Library. iTunes optimizes synced photos for your device, saving space. You can also sync a smaller selection of your photo library.
To reduce your usage with apps:
- If the app stores data on the device, see if it can store its data in the cloud. Check the app's documentation or contact the app developer for more information.
- Delete some of the app's content.
- Delete apps you don't use anymore.
You can also reduce the amount of other data with these steps:
- Restart your device: iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on.
- Sync your device with iTunes: Syncing moves over data, such as logs, from your device to your computer. This can reduce the space taken up by other data.