VoiceOver is available on the following Apple TV models:
- Apple TV 4K
- Apple TV HD
- Apple TV (3rd generation) with software version 4.2 or later
Set up Apple TV with VoiceOver
- Connect the HDMI cable from your TV or receiver to your Apple TV.
- Make sure that your TV is set to the correct input for your Apple TV.
- Plug in your Apple TV power cable.
- On Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, wait a few seconds, then press the upper-left button (Menu) three times on your remote. You should hear “VoiceOver on.”
- On Apple TV (3rd generation), wait a minute. Your Apple TV should ask you to press the lower-right button (Play/Pause) on your remote to turn on VoiceOver.
- Select your language.
Turn VoiceOver on or off
If your Apple TV is already set up, you can turn VoiceOver on or off using the remote that came with your Apple TV. Find your Apple TV model below and follow the steps.
On Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD
You can use Siri* to turn VoiceOver on or off. Just hold the Siri button on your Siri Remote, then say "Turn VoiceOver on" or "Turn VoiceOver off."
If you turned on VoiceOver when you set up your Apple TV, you can use the accessibility shortcut to turn VoiceOver on or off. On your remote, press the Menu button three times to turn VoiceOver on or off.
You can also go to Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver, then turn VoiceOver on or off.
To turn the accessibility shortcut on, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut, then select VoiceOver.
*Siri availability varies by language and country or region. Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD ships with the same remote everywhere. In countries and regions that support Siri, the remote is called Siri Remote. Elsewhere, it’s called Apple TV Remote. Siri works on either remote as long as your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD is set up with a language and country or region that supports Siri.
On Apple TV (3rd generation)
- To return to the main menu, press the lower-left button (Menu) repeatedly until you hear a stop sound.
- Press Down once.
- To highlight Settings, press Right repeatedly until you hear a stop sound. If you changed the layout of the main menu, you might not have Settings here. Use the arrow buttons on your remote to highlight Settings.
- Press Select twice.
- Press Down repeatedly until you hear a stop sound.
- Press Up four times. Accessibility should be highlighted.
- Press Select twice. VoiceOver should turn on and begin reading the content on your Apple TV screen.
Learn how to navigate your Apple TV using VoiceOver.