Switch between apps
- Double-click the Home button to see recently used apps.
- Swipe left or right to find the app that you want to use.
- Tap the app.
On iPad, you can also see recently used apps by swiping up from the bottom of your screen with one finger. If you have a keyboard paired to your iPad Pro, press Command-Tab to switch between apps.
Use Background App Refresh
After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren’t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. With Background App Refresh, suspended apps can check for updates and new content.
If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. If you quit an app from the app switcher, it might not be able to run or check for new content before you open it again.
- Use Multitasking features on your iPad to work with multiple apps at the same time.
- Get help if an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won't open.
- Find out how to change settings on your device to maximize battery life.