Time Capsule doubles as a full-featured AirPort Extreme 802.11n. So, if you’re adding Time Capsule to an existing wireless network, you’ll want to set it as your primary base station, rather than as a network client. That way, you benefit from its faster performance and ensure that your backups occur without any speed bumps.
Use AirPort Utility 5.3 or later, included with the Time Capsule or available via Apple Software Updates or from Apple Support Downloads, to set up your Time Capsule.
Note: This article describes one configuration option available to you. There are other options available, such adding your Time Capsule to an existing AirPort network. See the Setup Guide for more details.
- Connect your Cable/DSL (broadband) modem to the WAN port of your Time Capsule via an Ethernet cable.
- Connect the Time Capsule's power cable to an AC outlet.
- Open the AirPort Utility. which is located in the Utilities folder, within the Applications folder (/Applications/Utilities).
- The Time Capsule will have an initial name such as "Time Capsule fea88c". Click continue to proceed.
- Select "Create a new wireless network" and click Continue.
- Follow the rest of the on-screen instructions. When finished, your Time Capsule will restart and apply your settings.