If you can’t update wirelessly on your device, you can update manually using iTunes on a computer that you trust.
Before you update
- Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
- If you have a Mac, check that your computer is running macOS Mojave or earlier. Using a Mac with macOS Catalina or later? Update your device using the Finder instead. If you’re not sure which macOS you have, you can find out which macOS your Mac is using.
- If your computer is using Personal Hotspot on the device that you're updating, connect your computer to a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network before you update.
Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using iTunes
- Open iTunes on your Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier or on your Windows PC.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Click the device button in iTunes toolbar. If you don’t see your device, find out what to do.
- In the Summary tab, click Check for Update.
- Click Download and Update. Continue by following the on-screen instructions.
- If asked, enter your passcode. If you don't know your passcode, find out what to do.
If you see alert messages on your computer
Get help if you see alert messages while updating your device with your computer.
If you need more space to update
If you need more space for an update, you can delete content from your device manually.