Update your software
Check Screen Time settings
If your Mac is using macOS Catalina or later and you use Screen Time, make sure your camera is turned on and apps that use the camera have time available.
- Choose Apple menu > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Screen Time.
- Click Content & Privacy, then click App Restrictions (or Apps).
- Make sure the checkbox for Camera is selected.
- Click App Limits. If you need to use your camera with an app in the list, make sure the app is off or not selected.
Give apps permission
If your Mac is using macOS Mojave or later, choose which apps can use your built-in camera:
- Choose Apple menu > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Security & Privacy.
- Click Privacy & Security (or Privacy), then click Camera.
- Turn on any apps that you want to use your camera in. You might be prompted to quit and reopen an app before it can use your camera.
Restart your Mac or reset the SMC
If you have a Mac with Apple silicon, restart your computer. If you have an Intel-based Mac, reset the SMC.
Check the camera indicator light
If the camera indicator light next to the camera flashes green on your Mac notebook, contact Apple.
If you still can't use the built-in camera on your Mac, contact Apple.
If you can't connect to FaceTime, learn what to do if FaceTime isn't working on your Mac.