Organize group emails
An email thread combines all of the responses from multiple recipients in a group email.
Tap to see a preview of the responses to the thread in the Inbox. Tap a response to open the email thread.
You can sort responses in your thread by most recent and keep the thread of emails together, even if they’re in different mailboxes. Just go to Settings > Mail > Threading. Then choose how you want to organize your threads:
- Organize by Thread: Turn on to see all responses to an email combined in one thread. Turn off to see responses as individual emails.
- Collapse Read Messages: Turn on to collapse the emails that you’ve already read in a thread.
- Most Recent Message on Top: Turn on to see the most recent response to an email at the top of the message thread.
- Complete Threads: Turn on to see all of your conversations in a thread together, including emails that are in different mailboxes and sent emails.
Get notifications for responses to an email or thread
Waiting for a response to an important email? You can receive a notification when someone responds to an email or thread. Here are a few ways you can set up a notification for an email:
- As you read an email, tap , then tap Notify Me.
- As you write an email, tap in the Subject field, then tap Notify Me.
- If you have an iPhone with 3D Touch*, press firmly on an email in the Inbox, then swipe up and tap Notify Me.
To change the settings for Notify Me, go to Settings > Notifications > Mail.
*3D Touch is available on iPhone 6s and later (excluding iPhone SE).
Set up filters to find emails
Use filters to help you find emails that you want to read and hide the rest. You can filter emails by unread, flagged, emails addressed to you, messages from VIPs, and more. Here's how:
- Open Mail and tap in the lower-left corner of your Inbox.
- Tap Filtered by, then choose what you want to see in your Inbox. If you have multiple email accounts set up in the Mail app, you can filter results to show email from the accounts you choose.
- Tap Done.
To turn off the filter, tap .
Search for an email
Use search to quickly find an email. You can use Suggested Searches to quickly narrow your results. Or you can search by timeframe—for example, enter February, then tap February under the Dates category to see emails from February.
To search for an email:
- Open Mail and scroll to the top of the Inbox to find the search field.
- Tap the search field, then enter what you're looking for. To search multiple accounts, tap All Mailboxes.
- If you don’t see the email that you’re looking for in the list of suggestions, tap the magnifying glass under the Search field.
To return to your Inbox, tap Cancel.
- Set up your email account on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Use mailboxes to organize emails on your iOS device.
- Use Markup to add drawings, text, and your signature, to photos and PDFs.
- Get help if you can't send or receive emails in the Mail app on your iOS device.