Safari extensions add functionality to Safari, so you can explore the web the way you want. Extensions can show helpful information about a webpage, display news headlines, help you use your favorite services, change the appearance of webpages, and much more. Extensions are a great way to personalize your browsing experience.
Use the App Store to conveniently download and install Safari extensions. All extensions in the App Store are reviewed, signed, and hosted by Apple for your security.
Start by installing the latest macOS updates to make sure that Safari is up to date. You need Safari 12 or later to get Safari extensions from the App Store.
Find and install an extension
- Open Safari and choose Safari > Safari Extensions from the menu bar.
- The App Store opens to the Safari Extensions page. To download and install an extension, click Get or click the price. You might be asked to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Click Install.
- After the extension is installed, click Open and follow the onscreen instructions provided by the extension.
Turn on the extension
Then return to Safari to turn on the extension you installed.
- Choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences).
- Click Extensions.
- Select the checkbox next to the extension's name.
All extensions installed from the App Store are automatically kept up to date.
Uninstall or turn off extensions
Choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences), then click Extensions.
- To turn off an extension, deselect its checkbox.
- To uninstall an extension, select the extension and click the Uninstall button. If you can't determine what an extension does, or you don't expect to use it again, you should uninstall it.
Share extensions across devices
Starting with macOS Ventura, iOS 16, and iPadOS 16, you can share extensions across your Mac, iPhone, and iPad:
- On your Mac, open Safari and choose Safari > Settings, then click Extensions. Select “Share across devices” at the bottom of the window.
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Safari > Extensions, then turn on Share Across Devices.
If an extension on one device is also compatible with your other devices, it automatically appears in Extensions settings on those devices. Click the Get button or iCloud icon next to the extension to download it. When you turn the extension on or off, your other devices show the same change.
To uninstall an extension from all devices, you must uninstall it on each device.
Safari no longer supports most web plug-ins. To load webpages more quickly, save energy, and strengthen security, Safari is optimized for content that uses the HTML5 web standard, which doesn't require a plug-in. To enhance and customize your browsing experience, use Safari extensions instead of web plug-ins.