Adjust brightness in Control Center
You can quickly adjust brightness in Control Center:
- On an iPhone 8 or earlier, or on an iPod touch, swipe up from the bottom edge of your display. On an iPad, swipe up from the bottom edge of your display, and continue to swipe up after the dock appears. On an iPhone X, swipe down from the top-right corner of your display.
- Drag the brightness bar up or down to adjust the brightness.
Learn more about the display on iPhone X.
Adjust brightness in Settings
- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness.
- Drag the slider to the right or left to adjust the brightness.
About brightness levels
iOS devices use an ambient light sensor to adjust brightness levels based on the light conditions around you. The sensor lowers brightness in dark locations and raises brightness in light locations. The auto-brightness feature is on by default.
When auto-brightness is on, you'll notice that your device's brightness slider moves according to changing light conditions.
In iOS 11, you can turn auto-brightness on or off in Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations. In iOS 10 and earlier, go to Settings > Display & Brightness.
iPod touch does not support the auto-brightness feature.
About True Tone
The following devices feature True Tone, which uses advanced multichannel sensors to adjust the color and intensity of your display to match the ambient light, so that images appear more natural.
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
Some display accessibility settings, including Invert Colors, Grayscale, and Increase Contrast, might turn off True Tone.