Back up with the Finder
- On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open a Finder window.
- Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable.
- If asked for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode.
- Select your device on your computer. Learn what to do if your device doesn't appear on your computer.
- If you want to save Health and Activity data from your device or Apple Watch, you need to encrypt your backup. Select the "Encrypt local backup" checkbox and create a memorable password.
Save your password somewhere safe, because there's no way to recover your backups without this password.
- Click Back Up Now.
- When the process ends, you can see if the backup finished successfully. You'll see the date and time of your last backup.
- Restore your device from a backup.
- Get help with iTunes backups.
- Manage your backups.