If you see the following while setting up HomePod:
- A blank white screen after you select your HomePod location
- Wi-Fi incompatible error
- "Setup Failed" with an error code. For example, -6722
Try the steps below, then try to set up HomePod after each step. If you don't see the HomePod Setup Assistant, put your iOS or iPadOS device to sleep, then wake it. Go to the Home Screen, hold your device next to your HomePod, then wait for the setup screen to appear.
Make sure that your device is updated to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS and has the Home and Music app
Make sure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is updated to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. Also check that the Music app and Home app are installed on the device that you're using to set up HomePod. If you deleted either of these apps, follow these steps to redownload the app:
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to the App Store.
- Search for the app. Make sure that you enter the exact name of the app. For example, Apple Music.
- Tap to restore the app.
Check your Wi-Fi connection
- HomePod uses the Wi-Fi network that your iOS or iPadOS device is connected to. Use your iOS or iPadOS device to forget the Wi-Fi network, then join the network again.
- Personal Hotspots might work, but aren't recommended.
- If you're using an 802.1X Wi-Fi network, learn which networks are supported and how to connect to them.
- HomePod doesn't support public or subscription networks with sign-in requirements. These networks are often in places like businesses, schools, dorms, apartments, hotels, and stores.
Check that two-factor authentication is turned on for your Apple ID and iCloud Keychain is turned on
- To check if two-factor authentication is turned on, go to Settings > [Your Name] > Password & Security. If two-factor authentication isn't set up, select the option to enable it and follow the steps.
- To check if iCloud Keychain is turned on, go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud. Scroll down and check that Keychain is on. If it isn't, tap Keychain and turn it on. If prompted, follow the steps to set up iCloud Keychain.
Check the Home app
If you already have HomeKit accessories or scenes, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the device you're using to set up HomePod is the one you used to set up the Home.
- Open the Home app on your iOS or iPadOS device and check that you see your accessories and scenes. If you see a message that says loading accessories and scenes, wait for the Home app to finish loading. If the Home app stays in a loading state for 30 minutes or longer, you should see an option to erase and reset the Home app. If you reset the Home app, you’ll need to set up your HomeKit accessories and scenes again.
Still need help?
If you still can't set up HomePod, contact Apple Support.