You can use a VR headset to view your 360º video while working in Final Cut Pro X and Motion. To use a VR headset, your Mac must meet the system requirements for VR content creation, and you need to install Steam software. For more information, visit the SteamVR support page, and refer to the documentation that came with your headset.
First, download and install Steam.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the internet.
- Visit store.steampowered.com/about, and click Install Steam Now.
- In the Finder, choose Go > Downloads. If you changed the default location for downloads from your browser, go to that location.
- Double-click the "steam.dmg" file.
- Drag Steam to the Application folder.
- In Finder, choose Go > Applications, then double-click Steam to open the application.
Configure SteamVR software
After installing Steam, install SteamVR.
- Before you configure the SteamVR software, connect your headset, and set up your Lighthouses.
- In Steam, follow the prompts to create a new account, or log into an existing one.
- In Steam, choose Library > Tools.
- Type SteamVR into the Search field.
- Control-click SteamVR, then select Install Game.
- To create a Desktop shortcut to launch SteamVR, select "Create Desktop shortcut," then click Next. This allows you to open SteamVR directly, without having to open it from the Steam app.
- When SteamVR is finished installing, click Finish.
- In the Library list, double-click SteamVR to open the app.
- You can now quit the Steam app, and let SteamVR continue to run in the background. If you've connected your headset properly, the LED on the headset will be green. If SteamVR displays an error, or if the LED on the headset is red, visit the SteamVR support page for more information.
- In the Room Setup window, select "Set up for Standing Only."
- To monitor your 360º video in Final Cut Pro X or Motion, choose Window > Output to VR Headset.
Manage Steam and SteamVR
To quit SteamVR, you have to quit both Steam and SteamVR.
Steam automatically opens when you log in to your Mac. To keep Steam from automatically opening when you log in to your Mac.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
- Select your user account, then click Login Items at the top of the window.
- Select the name of the item you want to prevent from opening automatically, then click the Remove button (-) below the list.
To manually open SteamVR, double-click the Desktop shortcut for SteamVR.