With Multi-Take Recording, GarageBand creates a new take each time the playhead starts over from the beginning of a section. GarageBand records each new take to the same track—each track can contain multiple takes. Then, you can choose the take you like best and delete the others. Recording multiple takes can be useful when you’re improvising a lead or solo part and want to capture several versions of your performance.
Before you begin
Before you start Multi-Take Recording, turn off Automatic song section length.
- In Tracks view, tap on the right edge of the ruler to open the song section controls.
- Tap the last section in the list, then tap . If your song has one section, tap for Section A.
- If the section is set to Automatic, tap the Automatic switch to turn it off, then tap Song Sections to return to the list of song sections.
- Tap the section you want to work on. If you want your recording to span all sections, tap All Sections.
- Close song section controls:
- On iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, or iPad, tap anywhere in Tracks view.
- On iPhone and iPod Touch, tap Done.
Next, turn Multi-Take Recording on.
- Open track controls:
- On iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, or iPad, tap in the control bar.
- On iPhone and iPod Touch, tap , then select .
- Tap any track except a Drummer track.
- Tap Track Settings
- Tap Recording, then turn Multi-Take Recording on.
Record Multiple Takes
- Tap the track you want to record onto. Or, add a new track by tapping below the track headers, or by tapping in the control bar and selecting a new Touch Instrument.
- To start recording, tap in the control bar. Each time the playhead starts over from the beginning of the section, GarageBand creates a new take on the track.
Choose a take
When you're done recording, double-tap the new region, tap Takes, then choose the take you want to hear from the list. A check mark appears next to the selected take. You can choose takes during playback or while GarageBand is idle.
Delete a Take
When you've decided you like a particular take, you can delete other takes.
- To delete individual takes, tap Edit and delete the takes you don’t want to keep.
- To delete all but the currently selected take, tap the take you want to keep, then tap Delete Unused Takes.