- On your Windows PC, open iTunes. If you don't have it on your PC, download iTunes.
- Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable.
- If asked for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode.
- Select your device in iTunes. Learn what to do if your device doesn't appear on your computer.
- Click Summary.
- If you want to save Health and Activity data from your device or Apple Watch, you need to encrypt your backup. Select the "Encrypt local backup" checkbox and create a memorable password.
Write down your password and store it somewhere safe, because there's no way to recover your iTunes backups without this password.
- Click Back Up Now.
- When the process ends, you can see if the backup finished successfully. You'll see the date and time of your last backup.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your PC
If you back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you'll have a copy of your information to use in case your device is ever replaced, lost, or damaged.