New in GarageBand 10.3.5
• This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
- Smart Controls now work as expected on Mac computers that don't support Metal.
- The Loop Browser now allows you to filter by loop type.
- GarageBand no longer quits unexpectedly when the Intro to Guitar lesson is opened a second time in the same Learn to Play session.
- The keys on the keyboard in the Piano Roll are now the expected size.
- Open System-based windows in GarageBand now immediately change between Light and Dark mode when the mode is changed in the System Settings.
- The input level meter now works in the Learn to Play setup window.
- GarageBand no longer hangs when opening the Sound Library, the Note Pad, the Loop Browser, or the Media Browser when the Smart Controls are open.
- When opening GarageBand on a Mac in which the sound library has been moved using Logic Pro X or MainStage, and the external drive containing the library is not connected, GarageBand now shows a dialog indicating the drive must be connected to access to sounds.
- It is now possible to reinstall the Sound Library in GarageBand after moving the library in Logic Pro X or MainStage, and then disconnecting the external drive that contains the library.
- Impulse Response files for Chinese and Japanese traditional instruments are now correctly found when a GarageBand for iOS project is opened on macOS.
Learn to Play
- The Tuning Hint window now opens in Learn to Play lessons that feature non-standard tunings.
- Chords now display in the correct positions in the Chord Trainer.
- The Chord Trainer again provides visual feedback when correct and incorrect chords are played.
- GarageBand now supports drag and drop from Voice Memos.
- The Smart Controls Inspector now displays correctly in newly created projects.
- The LCD display now immediately updates to reflect undo or redo of key signature change.
- The GarageBand window now remains visible after exiting full screen mode.
- It is now possible to position the end of song marker with greater precision.
GarageBand for macOS 10.3.1
- Resolves an issue where third-party Audio Units and the PlatinumVerb plug-in could not be accessed.
GarageBand for macOS 10.3
New features and enhancements
- Two new Drummers play roots- and jazz-influenced brush styles.
- Over 20 free downloadable Artist Lessons show you how to play hit songs on piano and guitar, taught by the artist who made them famous.
- Includes 1,000 new electronic and urban loops covering Reggaeton, Future Bass, and Chill Rap.
- Includes 400 animal, transportation, and voice sound effects. Learn how to download the new sounds.
- Play and record using traditional instruments from China mainland and Japan with the Guzheng, Koto, and Taiko drums.
- Add classic sounds to your song with 5 Vintage Mellotron patches.
- Updates compatibility with GarageBand for iOS.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand no longer quits unexpectedly when loading certain patches created in Logic Pro X.
- MIDI Pan data can now be edited in GarageBand.
- The Help Tag for the Marquee tool now shows the total length of the current selection as well as its start and end positions.
- Step editing of automation is now possible in the Piano Roll editor by pressing Command-Option.
- VoiceOver now announces the type of track that is selected in the New Track dialog.
- VoiceOver now speaks the names of tracks when interacting with regions in the tracks area.
- The size of plug-in windows no longer sometimes changes unexpectedly when switching to presets that contain a different number of controls.
- Enabling "Follow Tempo & Pitch" in the Region editor now also enables Flex in the Track Editor if it is not already active.
- GarageBand no longer unexpectedly sustains notes when using Musical Typing.
- Metronome volume and tone can be adjusted in the GarageBand Preferences.
- The GarageBand LCD again displays times down to milliseconds.
- Master Echo and Master Reverb bypass settings are now saved in GarageBand projects.
- Performing Undo after changing the key of a project now correctly returns Apple Loops to the original key.
- Software Instrument tracks now respond properly to MIDI input after Track Lock is disabled.
- It is now possible to record audio during playback.