To use Express Transit with Apple Pay in Beijing or Shanghai, you first need to set up your transit card with Apple Pay on your iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, or later or Apple Watch Series 1, Apple Watch Series 2, or later.
Pay for your ride with your transit card using Apple Pay
You can use Express Transit with Apple Pay to pay for transit services. In Beijing, you can use your transit card to pay for metro and buses. In Shanghai, you can use your transit card to pay for metro, buses, ferries, and maglev.
When you enter and exit the ticket gates, simply hold the top of your iPhone or the display of your Apple Watch within a few centimeters of the middle of the ticket gate scanner until you feel a vibration. You'll see Done and a checkmark on the display. Your iPhone or Apple Watch must be turned on, but it doesn't have to be connected to a network. With Express Transit, you don't need to validate with Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode, and you don't need to wake or unlock your device or open an app.
On iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, Express Cards with power reserve is available for up to five hours when your iPhone needs to be charged. You can press the side button to check if Express Cards are available when your iPhone needs to be charged. Doing this often may significantly reduce the power reserve for Express Cards. If you choose to power off your iPhone, this feature will not be available.
To pay in stores with your default credit or debit card, you need to:
- On an iPhone with Touch ID, double-click the Home button when your iPhone is locked, or select your card in Wallet and authenticate before holding your iPhone near the reader.
- On iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, double-click the side button and authenticate with Face ID before holding your iPhone near the reader.
You might need to have a station agent service your transit card in Apple Pay. If you do, put your device into Service Mode before you hand it to the station agent:
- On your iPhone, open Wallet, tap . Then open Service Mode and authenticate with Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode.
- For your Apple Watch, remove it from your wrist, enter the passcode to unlock it, and double-click the side button. Then, select your transit card, firmly press the screen, tap Service Mode, and ask the station agent to hold your Watch with the display facing down.
Change your Express Transit card
The first transit card that you add to Wallet is your Express Transit card. If you add more transit cards and want to change your Express Transit card, use these steps.
- Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
- On iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and later, tap Express Transit Card. On iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, tap Automatic Transit Card.
- Choose a new transit card, then authorize with Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Go to the My Watch tab, then tap Wallet & Apple Pay > Express Transit Card.
- Choose a new card, then authorize by entering your passcode on your Apple Watch.
If you don't want a card set for Express Transit, just choose None.
Check the balance on your transit card
On your iPhone, open Wallet, then tap your transit card. Your current balance is displayed.
On your Apple Watch, double-click the side button and swipe to your transit card to see your balance. Or open Wallet, tap your transit card, and scroll down using the digital crown to see your current balance.
You can receive notifications when your balance is low. To do this, open Wallet, tap your transit card, and tap . Then tap Balance > No reminder, and follow the steps to set up notifications.
Add money to your transit card
To add money to your transit card, use a China UnionPay debit card in Beijing, or a China UnionPay credit or debit card in Shanghai that you've added to Wallet. The minimum amount that you can add on your iPhone is 1 RMB in Beijing and 10 RMB in Shanghai. The minimum amount that you can add on your Apple Watch is 10 RMB. The maximum amount that you can add at a time is 500 RMB. The maximum balance on your transit card in Wallet is 1000 RMB.
On your iPhone:
- Open Wallet.
- Tap the transit card that you want to add money to.
- Tap , tap Add Money, then choose the amount, and tap “Add”.
- Select your UnionPay credit or debit card and use Face ID, place your finger on Touch ID, or enter your passcode to complete the transaction.
On your Apple Watch:
- Open Wallet.
- Tap your transit card.
- Scroll to Card Options and tap Add Money.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Before you start your trip, make sure that you have enough money on your transit card in Apple Pay for the entire journey. Also, make sure that your battery has enough charge to last the entire journey.
You can also add money via the Beijing Transit and Shanghai Transit apps.