What to do
Account recovery is a process designed to get you back into your Apple ID account when you don’t have enough information to reset your password. For security reasons, it might take several days or longer before you can use your account again.
- The fastest and easiest way to reset your password is from an Apple device. Before you start the account recovery waiting period, try to reset your forgotten password on a trusted device. Or borrow a friend or family member’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and use the Apple Support app to reset your password.
- If your friend or family member can't get the Apple Support app, you can use the Find My iPhone app to reset your Apple ID password on a device with iOS 9 through 12.
- If you're unsuccessful using any of these methods, go to iforgot.apple.com. Provide as much information as you can, then start the account recovery waiting period. We know this delay is inconvenient, but it's important so that we can keep your account and information safe.
The Apple Support app is not available in all countries or regions and is not available for iOS 9 and 10. If you can't get the Apple Support app, you can still reset your password and regain access to your account with account recovery.
What comes next
After you request account recovery, you'll get an email with a confirmation of your request and the date and time of when you can expect to regain access.
If you submitted your account recovery request with iforgot.apple.com through your device's browser, you should avoid using that device during this period. Using that device might cancel account recovery.
If you did not already try before beginning account recovery, you might be able to recover your account by accessing another trusted device. If you did try, then accessing another device that is signed in with your Apple ID could cancel your account recovery. To avoid delays, turn off other devices until account recovery is complete.
When the wait period is over, Apple sends you a text or automated phone call with instructions to regain access to your account. Follow the instructions to immediately regain access to your Apple ID.
Check the status or cancel your request
- At any time, you can see how long it will be until your account is ready for recovery, or when more information will be available. Just go to iforgot.apple.com and enter your Apple ID.
- If you remember your information and can sign in successfully, your wait period cancels automatically and you can use your Apple ID immediately.
- To cancel a recovery request that you did not make, follow the instructions in your email confirmation.
Options you might see
In some cases, you might be given options that could shorten the wait time during account recovery. For example, you might be able to provide credit-card details to confirm your identity. If you’re given the option to confirm your credit-card details, an authorization request goes to the card issuer.*
You might also be able to speed up the account recovery process or reset your password immediately by verifying a six-digit code sent to your primary email address.
* Apple Pay doesn't work as a credit card. If you enter your credit-card details correctly, and are asked to reenter your security information, contact your card issuer. The issuer might have declined your authorization attempts.