If an issue occurs during a software update on your Apple TV, unplug your Apple TV, then plug it back in and try the software update again. If you still need help, follow the steps below for your Apple TV.
If you have an Apple TV 4K
If you see a while trying to update the software on your Apple TV 4K, contact Apple Support.
If you have an Apple TV (4th generation) or earlier
If you see a while trying to update the software on your Apple TV, you can restore it with iTunes.
Here's what you need
Restore your Apple TV
- Unplug the HDMI cable and power cord from your Apple TV.
- Open iTunes on your computer. Check that you have the latest version.
- On the back of your Apple TV (4th generation), plug in a USB-C cable. For Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), use a Micro-USB cable. Use the correct cable for your model, and never plug a lightning to USB cable into your Apple TV.
- Plug the other end of your USB-C or Micro-USB cable into a USB port on your computer.
- For Apple TV (3rd or 4th generation), plug in the power cord. For Apple TV (2nd generation), leave it unplugged.
- In iTunes, you should see the Apple TV summary page. If you don't see the Apple TV summary page, click in the upper-left corner.
- Click Restore Apple TV. While it's restoring, don’t unplug anything. The time it takes to restore your Apple TV depends on the speed of your Internet connection.
- When your Apple TV has finished restoring, unplug the USB-C or Micro-USB cable and power cord, if connected. Then reconnect the HDMI cable and power cord to your Apple TV.
If your Apple TV doesn’t appear in iTunes or you see Restore Error 1603 or 1611, make sure that you use a USB-C or Micro-USB cable that supports data transfer. Some cables that are bundled with other products or accessories might only support charging those products (and not transmitting data). Or they might work only with the product with which they were sold.
If you can't restore your Apple TV or you still see the Connect to iTunes screen, take your Apple TV to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for more help. If the Apple TV is out of warranty, you might have to pay a service fee to diagnose or replace it.