Ways to listen
Here are a few ways you can listen to audio in your car:
- If your car has Bluetooth, you can pair your iPhone to your car.
- If your car has a USB port, you can use a Lightning cable to connect your iPhone to your vehicle.
- If you have an Android device and subscribe to Apple Music, connect your Android device to your car to play audio using Android Auto.
- If Apple Music or Apple Podcasts is built into your vehicle, you can listen to music and podcasts without pairing your phone. Open the app from your car's display panel, then follow the onscreen instructions to sign in to your Apple ID that you use with Apple Music and Apple Podcasts. To complete setup, enter the verification code that you receive on your phone.
Learn what to do if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can't connect to your car.
Set up CarPlay in a compatible vehicle.* After you set up CarPlay, you can play content from the Music app or the Podcasts app while driving. Some third-party audio apps are also available in CarPlay.
To control what’s currently playing, use Now Playing.
* Even if your vehicle is compatible with CarPlay, not all countries or regions have CarPlay available.
Play music from your Library. If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can also browse and stream music from the Apple Music catalog, get music recommendations in For You, and more.
Play the latest episodes from your shows in Listen Now, or choose from the episodes in your Library. You can also stream popular podcast episodes from Browse.
You can ask Siri to stop, start, or change the audio that you listen to while driving.
- To activate Siri while connected with CarPlay or Siri Eyes Free, press and hold the Voice Control button on your steering wheel until you hear Siri.
- If your car has a touch screen, you can also touch and hold the Home button in CarPlay.
- If your car doesn’t support CarPlay or Siri Eyes Free and your iPhone is in a mount, just say “Hey Siri.”
Learn how to use Siri to play music or podcasts.
Customize your settings for driving
Use your iPhone to add, remove, or rearrange the apps that you see in CarPlay. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, choose your car, then drag the apps to the location that you want.
If you’re not using CarPlay, you can activate Do Not Disturb while driving to filter out most notifications. You can still use Siri to control your music or podcasts.
If you don't want certain apps to use cellular data while you drive, you can turn off the app’s access to cellular data in Settings > Cellular.
When you download content on Wi-Fi, you don't use cellular data when you play it. Learn how to download music or download a podcast.
Need help signing out?
If you signed in to Apple Music on your car’s display panel, you can sign out there. Or you can sign out in the Music app on another device. Go to Listen Now and tap your profile picture at the top. Under Apps With Access, tap Edit, tap the Delete button next to your car, then tap Delete.