You must set up a home hub to add Matter accessories to the Home app. Thread-enabled Matter accessories require a Thread-enabled home hub, such as HomePod mini or Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Ethernet, or a supported third-party border router.
Set up HomePod mini or HomePod as a home hub
When you set up HomePod mini and HomePod,* they automatically become home hubs. Just make sure that you're signed in to iCloud on your iPhone or iPad with the Apple ID that you used to set up your HomeKit and Matter accessories in the Home app.
Set up Apple TV as a home hub
Apple TV* automatically becomes a home hub when you add it to HomeKit.
- Open Settings on Apple TV.
- Select Users and Accounts. Make sure your name is selected under Default User and that you're signed in to iCloud with the Apple ID that you used to set up your HomeKit and Matter accessories in the Home app.
- Go back to Apple TV Settings, then select AirPlay and HomeKit.
- Scroll down and select Room, then choose a room or add a new room.
Set up iPad as a home hub
- Tap Settings > [your name] and make sure that you're signed in to iCloud with the Apple ID that you used to set up your HomeKit and Matter accessories in the Home app.
- Tap iCloud, then scroll down and check that Home is turned on under Apps Using iCloud.
- Tap Settings > Home and turn on Use this iPad as a Home Hub.
To use your iPad as a home hub, it must remain in your home, powered on, and connected to your home Wi-Fi network.
iPad will not be supported as a home hub on the new, more reliable, and more efficient Home architecture, which will be available later this year as a separate upgrade in the Home app.
If your home hub isn't working as expected
- Check that your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad is up to date.
- Make sure that the user signed in to iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV is the primary Home app user, and not an invited user.
- Turn on iCloud Keychain and two-factor authentication for your Apple ID.
- Check that the device that you set up as a home hub is in your home, connected to your home Wi-Fi network, and powered on.
Do more with the Home app
- After you set up a home hub, you can create custom home automations in the Home app or personal automations in the Shortcuts app.
- Use the Home app to manage and securely control your accessories on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
- Invite people to control your home in the Home app.
* HomePod mini, HomePod, and Apple TV aren't available in all countries or regions.