Learn what happens when you connect to Apple School Manager
You can securely connect Apple School Manager to supported Student Information System (SIS) solutions. When you connect to your SIS solution, student, staff, and class information are copied into Apple School Manager to create Managed Apple IDs, locations and courses. Changes you make in your SIS solution automatically update Apple School Manager.
Connect your SIS solution
If you've already used SFTP to import information, review the SFTP information in the next section before you connect your SIS solution to Apple School Manager.
- Sign in to Apple School Manager.
- Click Settings in the lower-left corner, choose Data Source, then click Connect.
You must verify a domain before you can connect to a SIS.
- Click the Add button next to Find Students, Staff, and Classes and select Student Information System (SIS).
- Choose your SIS from the pop-up menu, then click Connect.
- Follow the detailed directions onscreen to authorize your specific SIS solution. Each SIS handles its data and security differently.
- Enter any required information.
- Select whether or not to sync data 30 days before the start of the term.*
By default, your SIS might return data only for the current term. If you choose to sync ahead, you'll get data for any term that begins in the next 30 days. You can change this setting after you've set up your SIS connection.
- Click Connect, and wait for the process to complete. Depending on the connection speed and the amount of data that you're importing, this might take more time.
- Review any errors that are detected. You'll need to correct these in your SIS solution.
- Click "Review [Your SIS solution Name]" data to view the data you added.
- Make sure the data is correct, then click Confirm.
After you complete your initial import, you'll see the name of the SIS solution and what content was imported. Apple School Manager updates every 24 hours from your SIS. If you add a new student in the SIS solution, Apple School Manager automatically creates an account and Managed Apple ID for that student. After these credentials are created, you can share them with the account holder.
* To use this feature with PowerSchool SIS, install the most recent Apple School Manager plug-in. When you use this feature with Infinite Campus SIS, use a OneRoster v1.1 API URL.
If you've used SFTP in the past
You can also use SFTP to upload student, staff, and class data to Apple School Manager based on records exported from your SIS solution. If you've already used SFTP uploads to create users and classes, and you switch from using SFTP to a direct SIS connection, Apple School Manager creates new IDs for all your users. This means you might have duplicate accounts for any users already created via SFTP. To avoid duplication, keep using SFTP instead of a direct connection.