Apple Remote Desktop version 3.3 includes two update packages:
- Apple Remote Desktop Client 3.3.1 updates the software that facilitates Remote Management (enabled in Sharing preferences, in System Preferences).
- Apple Remote Desktop Admin 3.3 updates the Remote Desktop application, which can be used to remotely administer Apple Remote Desktop clients.
Apple Remote Desktop version 3.3 requires one of the following system software versions:
- Mac OS X v10.4.11
- Mac OS X Server v10.4.11
- Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later
- Mac OS X Server v10.5.7 or later
- Mac OS X v10.6 or later
- Mac OS X Server v10.6 or later
In addition, the update requires:
- Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) version 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, or 3.3 (client)
- An Ethernet (recommended), AirPort, or IP over FireWire network connection
Compatibility with previous versions of Apple Remote Desktop
Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 allows you to add Apple Remote Desktop version 2.x and 3.x clients to your computer lists, and will automatically assist you in upgrading them to the current version of the client software.
Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 supports computers running versions 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, and 3.3 of the client software. However, if you choose to not upgrade your computers running version 2.x of the client software, you will only be able to control/observe them.
- Improves support for accessing client computers and task servers behind NAT (Network Address Translation) routers.
- Includes Task Server and Directory Server scanners, for finding client computers known by your task server and clients in computer groups on a directory server.
- New "Reporting" tab in client computer Info window, to set a single reporting policy for the client computer, shared by all Remote Desktop administrator computers.
- New "Administrators" tab in client computer Info window, to display and control which admin computers and task servers are associated with each client computer.
- Client settings configurable by Managed Preferences in Workgroup Manager.
- Support for finding and adding client computers via wide-area Bonjour
- Improves stability when running Remote Desktop Admin on a Task Server.
- Resolves an issue that could cause build_hd_index files to become very large.
- Improves compatibility with the Application Firewall.
- Change Client Settings task now works when the Remote Desktop administrator has an Active Directory account.
- Resolves an issue using Lock Screen or Curtain mode on a client computer that's at the login window.
- Improves client stability when Sharing Screen.
- When controlling a remote client, function keys and key combinations for actions such as Force Quit, Log Out, and the Application Switcher are now all sent to the remote computer.
- Improves screen sharing performance with RealVNC.
- Improves performance of encrypted screen sharing connections
- Scheduled UNIX Commands stay scheduled.
- Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 v1.1 resolves an issue that would prevent the display of report results when using German as the primary Mac OS X language.
- Improves performance of encrypted file copies.
- Support for using Services to perform automated Remote Desktop tasks in Mac OS X v10.6.
For detailed information about using Apple Remote Desktop 3.3, including the improvements listed above, see the Apple Remote Desktop Administrator Guide version 3.3, available online or via the Help menu.