How to compress files
- Open the Files app, then choose a location like On My iPhone or iCloud Drive.
- Tap Select, then choose one or more files.
- Tap the more button in the lower right.
- Tap Compress.
- If you selected one file, a ZIP file with the same filename saves to that folder. If you selected multiple files, a ZIP archive named Archive.zip saves to that folder. To change its name, touch and hold on the ZIP archive, then select Rename.
How to uncompress a zip file
- Open the Files app, then find the ZIP file or archive you want to uncompress.
- Tap the ZIP file or archive.
- A folder is created containing the files. To change its name, touch and hold on the folder, then tap Rename.
Do more with ZIP files
If you need to share a large file or multiple files, a compressed file takes up less storage space and can be sent faster because of its smaller file size.
To share a ZIP file or archive from the Files app, touch and hold on the ZIP file or archive, then tap the share button .
If you receive a ZIP file or archive in Mail, you can also preview its contents without downloading it. Just select the ZIP file or archive, then choose Preview Content. Swipe to see previews of each file included in the ZIP archive.
Need more help?
- Make sure you're using iOS 11 or later or iPadOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- See how to use the Files app.
- If a file is too large to send as a regular attachment, you can also try using Mail Drop.
- Want to share multiple files with friends or colleagues? Try sharing a folder in iCloud Drive.