What you need
You can have Siri announce your incoming messages with these headphones:
- AirPods Max
- AirPods (2nd generation)
- AirPods Pro
- Powerbeats Pro
- Beats Solo Pro
Your compatible headphones need to be paired with one of these devices:
- iPhone with iOS 14.3 or later
- iPad with iPadOS 14.3 or later
How to turn on Announce Messages with Siri
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Notifications
- Tap Announce Messages with Siri.
- Turn on Announce Messages with Siri.
With this feature turned on, Siri reads your incoming messages out loud when your headphones are connected to your iPhone or iPad, you're wearing them, and your device is locked. Siri plays a tone, then announces the sender's name and reads the message. If a message is long, Siri announces the sender's name and says only that they sent you a message. You can ask Siri to read the full message, or you can open your iPhone or iPad to read it.
In Settings > Notifications > Announce Messages with Siri, you can also manage which contacts Siri reads messages from. Tap Messages, then select from Favorites, Recents, Contacts, or Everyone.
How to reply to messages
- Wait for Siri to read the message. Siri then listens for your reply.
- Tell Siri you'd like to reply, then speak your message. Say something like "Reply 'I'm on my way'" or "Tell her 'I'll meet you there.'" When you stop talking, Siri reads your reply back to you and asks if you want to send it.
You can have Siri send your reply immediately, without reading it back first. Go to Settings > Notifications > Announce Messages with Siri and turn on Reply Without Confirmation.
If you're receiving multiple messages at once, you can quickly pause Announce Messages with Siri by taking out one of your AirPods or removing your headphones.
If you don’t hear Siri announcements
If you don’t hear Siri announcing your messages, try these steps:
- Make sure that you're using a compatible device.
- Make sure that your AirPods or compatible Beats headphones are paired to your device in Settings > Bluetooth.
- Go to Settings > Notifications > Announce Messages with Siri and make sure Announce Messages with Siri is turned on. Then tap Messages and make sure that Announce Messages with Siri is turned on there too.
- Make sure that your iPhone or iPad is locked and its screen is dark. Siri doesn't announce messages if you're using your device.