As part of the upcoming transition to 64-bit technology in macOS, GarageBand 6.0.5 won’t be compatible with future versions of macOS, starting with the recently announced macOS Catalina 10.15. With GarageBand 10 for macOS, you can open and continue to work on the projects that you created in GarageBand 6.0.5.
You can download the latest version GarageBand 10 for macOS for free from the Mac App Store:
Remove an older version of GarageBand
If you've upgraded to macOS Catalina 10.15 and downloaded the latest version of GarageBand, you can remove the older version:
- Click Finder, then choose Go > Applications.
- Select the GarageBand folder, then choose File > Move to Trash.
- Enter your password if asked, then click OK.
New Features in GarageBand 10
GarageBand 10 offers many new features and enhancements.
New Sound Library
- Get inspired with a fresh new collection of sounds and instruments.
- Explore thousands of new Apple Loops covering the latest electronic and urban genres.
- Add a virtual session drummer, percussionist, or beat producer to your song that takes direction and plays realistic beats.
- Choose among 33 players from popular genres like EDM, Hip Hop, Rock, and Alternative.
- Use a simple set of controls to shape your drummer’s performance.
Learn to Play
Free Artist Lessons show you how to play a hit song taught by the artist who made it famous.
- Easily shape any sound in the library with a custom set of knobs, buttons, and sliders.
- The look and personality of Smart Controls changes with each instrument.
- Use iCloud to keep your GarageBand projects up to date across your Mac computers.
- Start a song anywhere on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then import it wirelessly to your Mac to take it even further.
- Remotely add new tracks to your project using GarageBand on your iPhone or iPad.
Works with Logic Remote
- Use your iPhone or iPad and Multi-Touch gestures to wirelessly play any GarageBand instrument on your Mac.
- Access Smart Controls on your iPad to shape any sound while you’re playing.
- Navigate your song and browse the Sound Library from your iPad.