What is account recovery?
Account recovery is a process designed to get you back into your Apple ID account when you don’t have enough information to reset your password. For security reasons, it might take several days or longer before you can use your account again. We know this delay is inconvenient, but it's important so that we can keep your account and information safe.
Before you start the account recovery waiting period, try to reset your password. Learn how to reset your Apple ID password on a trusted device or through the Apple Support app on a family member’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. You can also visit an Apple Store and ask to use a device on site. If you set up an account recovery contact, they can also help you reset your password.
Use account recovery only as a last resort when you can’t sign in or reset your Apple ID password.
After you start account recovery
After you request account recovery, you get an email with a confirmation of your request and the date and time of when you can expect to regain access.
- If you submitted your account recovery request with iforgot.apple.com through your device's browser, you should avoid using that device during this period. Using that device might cancel account recovery.
- To avoid delays, turn off other devices that are signed in with your Apple ID until account recovery is complete.
When the wait period is over, Apple sends you a text or automated phone call with instructions to regain access to your account. Follow the instructions to immediately regain access to your Apple ID.
In some cases, you might be able to speed up the account recovery process or reset your password immediately by verifying a six-digit code sent to your primary email address. You might also be able to shorten the wait time by providing credit-card details to confirm your identity. If you’re given this option, an authorization request goes to the card issuer.*
Check the status of your request
At any time, you can see how long it will be until your account is ready for recovery, or when more information will be available. Just go to iforgot.apple.com and enter your Apple ID.
Cancel your request
- If you remember your information and can sign in successfully, your wait period cancels automatically and you can use your Apple ID immediately.
- To cancel a recovery request that you did not make, follow the instructions in your email confirmation.
* Apple Pay doesn't work as a credit card. If you enter your credit-card details correctly, and are asked to reenter your security information, contact your card issuer. The issuer might have declined your authorization attempts.