AirPods are connected to your iPhone and Apple Watch at the same time. Sound switches between them automatically.
To switch between devices automatically1 with your AirPods (2nd or 3rd generation), AirPods Pro (1st or 2nd generation), or AirPods Max:
- Make sure that you have an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, or a Mac with the latest version of macOS
- Sign in with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication
If you're signed in with the same Apple ID on your devices, your AirPods will switch automatically from listening to music on your iPad to answering a phone call on your iPhone, for example.
In some situations with macOS Big Sur or later, you'll see a notification about your AirPods on the screen of your Mac. Click Connect to confirm that you want your AirPods to switch to your Mac or stay with your Mac.
If necessary, follow these steps to choose a different device to play audio or to switch the audio to different headphones or speakers.
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Open Control Center on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Touch and hold the audio card in the upper-right corner of Control Center to control audio.
- Tap , then choose the device that you want from the list.2
On your Mac
Click the volume control in the menu bar and choose your AirPods3 or speakers under Output. If you're using macOS Big Sur or later, sound controls are in Control Center.
On your Apple TV
- Make sure that you're signed in to iCloud on your Apple TV.
- With your AirPods in your ears, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth.
- Choose your AirPods.
- Choose Connect. On your Apple TV, your AirPods should now appear in My Devices.
Turn off automatic switching
If you don't want your AirPods to switch automatically, you can turn off automatic switching on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV.
On your iPhone or iPad
- With your AirPods in your ears and connected to your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Bluetooth. Alternatively, you can go to Settings > [your AirPods].
- Tap the More Info button next to your AirPods in the list of devices.
- Tap Connect to This iPhone [or iPad].
- Tap When Last Connected to This iPhone [or iPad].
- To turn on this feature again, tap Automatically.
On your Mac
- With your AirPods in your ears and connected to your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Bluetooth.
- Click the Options button next to your AirPods in the list of devices.
- From the Connect to This Mac menu, choose When Last Connected to This Mac.
- To turn this feature on again, choose Automatically.
On your Apple TV
- With your AirPods in your ears and connected to your Apple TV, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth.
- Turn off Suggest Nearby AirPods.
1. Sound should not switch from one device to another automatically if you're in a conversation, like a phone call, a FaceTime call, or a video conference.
2. AirPods appear only when they're nearby and ready to use.
3. If you don't see the volume control in the menu bar, learn how to add it.