When you add speakers to the Home app, you can use AirPlay 2 to play your favorite song everywhere in your home. The Home app also lets you organize your speakers by room so you can play a song in one room while something different is playing in another room. And with Siri, you can control what's playing in every part of your home with just your voice.
Before you begin
- Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iOS 11.4 or later. To use the Home app on Mac, update your Mac to macOS Mojave.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, scroll down and turn on iCloud Keychain and Home to edit home users and use accessories on all of your iOS devices.
- To manage speakers in more than one home you have set up in the Home app, allow Home to use your location.
- Make sure that your speaker is compatible with AirPlay 2. Some third-party speakers will have the label:
Add speakers to the Home app
To listen and control music across multiple speakers with AirPlay 2, add your speakers to the Home app.
Set up HomePod and it automatically appears in the Home app.
HomePod isn't available in all countries and regions.
Add Apple TV
You can add an Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 11.4 or later to the Home app. Here's how:
- Make sure that your Apple TV is connected to your home Wi-Fi network and signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID as the Home app.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > AirPlay > Room.
- Choose a room you have set up in the Home app or select Add New Room.
Your Apple TV will appear in the Home app. To check, open the Home app and tap the Home or Rooms tab.
Add more speakers
- Open the Home app, tap , then tap Add Accessory.
- Tap Don’t have a Code or Can’t Scan, then tap the speaker.
- Wait for your speaker to be added. Give your speaker a name and choose a room where it's located.
- Tap Done.
Some speakers might require a firmware update or additional setup with the manufacturer’s app. To add speakers connected to an AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation), update your AirPort Express to the latest firmware.
Organize your speakers by room
Organize your speakers by room in the Home app on your iOS device or Mac so you can use Siri to control music throughout your home. Here's how:
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Open the Home app, press and hold Apple TV, HomePod, or other speaker, then tap Settings.
- Tap Room, then choose a room where your speaker is.
- Tap Done.
On your Mac:
- Open the Home app, double-click Apple TV, HomePod, or other speaker, then click Settings in the upper-right corner.
- Click Room, then choose a room where your speaker is.
- Click Done.
Want to play music everywhere downstairs? Learn how to group rooms into a zone in the Home app.
- Play the same audio across multiple speakers with AirPlay 2.
- Use Siri to control and play music throughout your home.
- Learn which speakers are compatible with AirPlay 2.
- Use the Home app to manage and securely control the products that you use in your home from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.