Before you begin
You need an iPhone or iPad with the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. To set up HomePod (2nd generation), you need an iPhone with iOS 16.3 or later, or an iPad with iPadOS 16.3 or later. You can't set up HomePod or HomePod mini with a Mac.
- Make sure your iPhone or iPad has the Home and Apple Music apps. If you deleted either of these apps, go to the App Store, search for the app, and tap the Redownload button to restore the app.
- Turn on two-factor authentication. To check if two-factor authentication is turned on, go to Settings > Your Name > Password & Security.
- Turn on iCloud Keychain. To check if iCloud Keychain is turned on, go to Settings > Your Name > iCloud.
- If you previously added accessories to the Home app, sign in to iCloud on your iPhone or iPad with the Apple ID that matches your home owner ID (Home app > More button > Home Settings > Resident (Owner)).
- If you previously added accessories to the Home app, make sure that your iPhone or iPad is connected to the same Wi-Fi network you used when you added those accessories.
Set up HomePod and HomePod mini with your iPhone or iPad
Plug HomePod into power and wait for a chime
Place HomePod or HomePod mini on a solid surface with at least 6 inches of space around it and plug it into power. Wait for a chime and a pulsing white light to appear on the top of it.
Hold your iPhone or iPad close to HomePod
Unlock your iPhone or iPad and hold it next to HomePod or HomePod mini. Tap Set Up when it appears on your device's screen. If the setup screen doesn't appear, try locking your device and unlocking it again.
Hold your iPhone or iPad over HomePod
When asked, center HomePod or HomePod mini in the viewfinder on your iPhone or iPad. If you can't use your camera, tap Enter Passcode Manually and Siri will respond with a four-digit passcode to enter on your device.
Customize your HomePod settings
Follow the onscreen instructions to choose your settings. You can also manage HomePod settings in the Home app after setup.
Wait for setup to complete
Wait for HomePod or HomePod mini to finish setup, then tap Done. This could take up to 5 minutes.
Start using your HomePod
Learn how to use Siri to play Apple Music or other music services or how to play audio using your iPhone or iPad. You can also read the HomePod user guide or set up voice recognition to enjoy personalized music recommendations and more.
Siri features might vary by country and region.
Get help with setup
To learn what to do next, find your issue below. If you still need help, contact Apple Support.
If you don't see the setup screen
If you tried locking and unlocking your iPhone or iPad and holding it next to HomePod or HomePod mini, but you still don't see the setup screen:
- Open the Home app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the Add button .
- Tap Add Accessory > More options > HomePod.
If HomePod doesn't appear as an option, reset your HomePod then try setting it up again.
If you get a Wi-Fi alert during setup
HomePod and HomePod mini use the Wi-Fi network that your iPhone or iPad is connected to. Use your iPhone or iPad to forget the Wi-Fi network. Then, reconnect to the network and try setting up HomePod or HomePod mini again.
If you want to connect HomePod to a different Wi-Fi network
If you want to connect your HomePod or HomePod mini to a different network, open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac and check for a network mismatch alert.
If a network mismatch alert appears, connect your HomePod to the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone. Tap or click View Details under the alert message, scroll down, then tap or click Move HomePod to [Wi-Fi Network].
If a network mismatch alert doesn't appear, reset HomePod. Then, make sure your iPhone or iPad is connected to the Wi-Fi network you want your HomePod to connect to, and set up HomePod again.