What CarPlay does
CarPlay takes the things that you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them on your car's built-in display. When you connect your iPhone to CarPlay, you can get turn-by-turn directions, make calls, send and receive messages, listen to music, and more. CarPlay uses the contacts on your iPhone to help you make calls, send texts, and find destinations.
CarPlay uses Siri Voice Control, so you can ask for what you want while you're driving — allowing you to stay focused on the road. CarPlay even works with the built-in controls in your car — like a touchscreen, knob, or button.
Set up CarPlay
Follow these steps to get started:
- Make sure that you're in an area that supports CarPlay and that your car supports CarPlay.
- Start your car, then make sure that Siri is on.
- Connect your iPhone to your car:
- If your car supports CarPlay via USB cable, plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon.
- If your car supports wireless CarPlay, press and hold the voice-command button on your steering wheel. Make sure that your stereo is in wireless or Bluetooth mode. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap Available cars, then select your car. Check your car manual for more information.
Use Siri with CarPlay
If your vehicle supports CarPlay or Siri Eyes Free, hold down the voice-command button on your steering wheel while you say what you need. If you aren't sure where the voice-command button is, check the manual for your car or stereo.
Remove and arrange CarPlay apps
While using CarPlay, the display in your car will show available apps. To add, remove, or customize the order that the apps are in on your iOS device:
- Go to Settings > General, and tap CarPlay.
- Select your car.
- Use the add or delete icons to add or remove apps. Tap and drag an app to change the icon order.
Only apps that are supported by CarPlay will appear. If you have an issue with a third-party app, try to contact the app developer.
If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS. After your iPhone is updated, follow these steps—checking CarPlay after each step:
- If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display.
- Restart your iPhone and your car.
- Make sure that Siri is on.
- If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
- Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, and tap Forget This Car.
- Check your connection:
- If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
- If you have a wireless connection, enable AirPlane mode by going to Settings > Airplane Mode. Don't enable Airplane Mode from Control Center.
- If needed, install firmware updates. Check your car's manual for more information.
If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support.