Here's what you need
Collaborate on documents using Box with these Apple devices and software versions:
- An iPhone or iPad with iOS or iPadOS 16.0 or later, a Mac with macOS Ventura 13.0 or later, and Pages, Numbers or Keynote version 13.2 or later.
- Box for your iPhone or iPad or Box Drive and Box Tools for your Mac.
To collaborate on Pages, Numbers or Keynote documents online at box.com, you'll need Safari 11.1.2 or later or Google Chrome for your Mac, or Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge for your PC.
- Visit box.com to sign up for a personal1 Box account. Already have one? If so, go to the next step.
- If you have a personal account, sign in, then click or tap on your initials in the top right-hand corner of the browser. Select Account Settings, then choose Integrations.
For enterprise accounts, Box Enterprise Admins can access Integrations settings in the Admin Console > Settings > Apps.
- To turn on iWork collaboration, tick the box under iWork Collaboration.
- To preview iWork documents online in Box, tick the box under iWork Previews.
Collaborate on a document
After you’ve set up Box and turned on iWork collaboration, you will automatically be able to edit with others in real time on any iWork document that's already stored in Box.
- To start collaborating on a new document, move or save your document in Box:
- On Mac, drag your document to the Box folder in the Finder sidebar. If Box isn't in the Finder sidebar, open the Box app from the Applications folder.
- On iPhone or iPad, move or copy your document into Box using either the document manager in Pages, Numbers or Keynote or the Files app.2
- Online in your Box account, sign in to your account, then drag the document to the All Files screen. Or click Upload, choose File, then choose the document.
- To invite others, open your document from the Box folder, click or tap the Share button, then invite people:
- On Mac, click Collaborate on Box, click Continue if necessary, sign in to Box, select the document in box.com, then click Share to invite participants.
- On iPhone or iPad, tap Invite People on Box, then invite participants.
- Online in your Box account, select the document in box.com, then click Share to invite participants.
- After you’ve started collaborating, click or tap the Collaboration button to see what participants are doing and manage the document:
- You can see edits made by others in real time and what they’ve done recently under Latest Activity.
- To change permissions for your document, click or tap Manage Shared File on Box. A list of participants will open in your browser online at box.com. Click or tap in the Permissions column for the participants whose status you want to change.
Edit when you’re offline
If you're not connected to the internet, you can still edit a shared document. Edits you make offline will be saved for at least 30 days and will be uploaded to Box automatically when you go back online. Other participants will see your changes after they've been uploaded. You can check the sync status of your document from the document manager on iPhone or iPad, or by choosing View > Show Sync Status on a Mac.
Preview, edit and create iWork documents online in Box
You can preview, edit and create new iWork documents within a browser when you've signed in to your Box account.3 From the Files and Folders screen:
- To preview an iWork document online in Box, select the document.
- To edit an iWork document online in Box, select the document, select Open in the toolbar, then choose Pages, Numbers or Keynote on the Web.
- To create a new iWork document online in Box, click New. Then, choose a Pages document, Numbers spreadsheet or Keynote presentation.
When working with collaborative iWork documents online in Box, you won't see updates about participant activity. These updates can only be viewed by participants using Pages on Mac, iPad or iPhone.
Terms and privacy
While using iWork collaboration or viewing an iWork preview or document on the web, your files will be stored temporarily on secure Apple servers.
If you have a personal Box account, you can turn off Box collaboration and previews on the Integrations tab of your Account Settings. If you have a Box enterprise account, please contact your organisation.
1. To use iWork collaboration with a Box enterprise account, your organisation must turn on iWork collaboration.
2. Make sure you've added Box to your Locations on your iPhone or iPad. After you've added Box, you can move and copy documents into Box with the document manager and the Files app.
3. You can open a document that is up to 1 GB in size on box.com. If your document is larger than 1 GB, use Pages, Numbers or Keynote on iPhone, iPad or Mac to reduce its size before trying to open it on box.com.