What you need to create a Suica or PASMO card in the Wallet app
- An iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus or later*
- An Apple Watch Series 3 or later*
- The latest iOS or watchOS version
- A credit, debit, or prepaid card added to the Wallet app**
- An internet connection
- An Apple ID signed in to iCloud
- A device region set to Japan
*You can also set up Suica on iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and Apple Watch Series 2 that was purchased in Japan.
**Apple Pay eligible cards are available but some cards might not be accepted.
How to create a new Suica or PASMO card
You can create a new Suica or PASMO card on your iPhone or Apple Watch:
On your iPhone
- Open the Wallet app and tap the add button .
- Under Transit Cards, tap the card that you want to add.1
- Choose an amount to put on your transit card or choose to transfer an existing card, then tap Add.2
- Follow the steps to create a new transit card on your iPhone.
On your Apple Watch
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone and choose the My Watch tab.
- Scroll down and tap Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap Add Card, then tap Continue and select the card that you want to add.1
- Choose an amount to put on your transit card.
- Follow the steps to create a new transit card on your Apple Watch.
Transfer a Suica or PASMO card to Apple Pay on your iPhone
Here’s what you need to transfer a plastic Suica or PASMO card to your iPhone:4
- Device region set to Japan
- A plastic Suica or PASMO card
To transfer your card:
- Open the Wallet app and tap the add button .
- Tap Next, and then tap Suica or PASMO. To see how it works, watch the demo.
- Follow the steps to transfer your card to your iPhone. Verify the last four digits of the card number.
Your birthdate is required only if you're adding a My Suica card, personalized PASMO card, or a Commuter PASMO or Suica card to Apple Pay. Use the same date of birth that you entered when you purchased your plastic card. Tap Next.
- Rest the top of your iPhone on the middle of the Suica or PASMO card. Leave it on the card without moving it. This process could take a few minutes to complete.
Then, start using Suica or PASMO on your iPhone. Your plastic card will no longer be usable. Your 500 Yen deposit on your plastic card will be added to your Suica or PASMO balance in Apple Pay.
Transfer a Suica or PASMO card to your Apple Watch
To transfer a plastic Suica or PASMO card to your Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. Follow the steps to transfer the card.
You can also create a new Suica or PASMO card and add it to your Apple Watch:
- Open the Suica or PASMO app on your iPhone.
- Follow the instructions to create a new card and transfer it to your Apple Watch.
- Start using Suica.
Unlike credit and prepaid cards in Apple Pay, Suica and PASMO cards can exist on only one device at a time.
Move a Suica or PASMO card from your iPhone to your Apple Watch
To move your Suica or PASMO card from your iPhone to your Apple Watch:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Scroll down to the card that you want to move to your Apple Watch. Then, tap the Add button next to the card.
You can use the Watch App to move your card back to your iPhone. You can't move your Suica or PASMO card during a transit journey.
After you transfer your Suica or PASMO card to Apple Pay, you can't use the plastic card. After you add a Suica or PASMO card to your iPhone or Apple Watch, you can use Apple Pay in transit and in stores that accept Suica or PASMO. The first Suica or PASMO card that you add to Apple Pay is your Express Transit card, which allows you to use Suica without Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode. Simply hold your iPhone or Apple Watch next to the reader. You don't have to wake the device or open the app.
Get help changing your Express Transit card.
- To add a PASMO card in the Wallet app, you need to set up two-factor authentication for your Apple ID.
- If you don't have an eligible payment card set up in the Wallet app, you are prompted to set one up after you tap Add.
- Apple Pay isn't available for children under 13. Age varies by country or region.
- Make sure that you sign in to iCloud on all your devices. On your iOS device, you need to set up Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode. If you turn off your passcode, all credit, prepaid, and Suica cards are removed from that device. On your Apple Watch, you need to set up a passcode. If you remove your passcode or sign out of iCloud, all credit, prepaid, and Suica cards are removed from your Apple Watch. When you remove a Suica card from any device, the remaining balance will be stored and available to be transferred to the same or another iPhone or Apple Watch that is signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID.