Set up your devices
Continuity Sketch and Continuity Markup work when your compatible devices are near each other and set up as follows:
- Your Mac and iPad or iPhone have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.
- Your Mac and iPad or iPhone are signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication.
- Your Mac is using macOS Catalina or later, and your iPad or iPhone is using iPadOS or iOS 13 or later.
These features work with any Apple or third-party app designed to support them, including Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Mail, Messages, Notes, and TextEdit.
Use Continuity Sketch
With Continuity Sketch, you can use your Mac to request a new sketch from your iPad or iPhone, then insert the sketch into your Mac document.
- Open a document on your Mac.
- From either the File menu or Insert menu (depending on your app), choose Insert from iPhone or iPad > Add Sketch.
- On your device, a sketch window opens, ready for you to create a sketch with your Apple Pencil or finger:
- When you're finished sketching, tap Done on your device. The sketch then appears in your Mac document:
Use Continuity Markup
With Continuity Markup, you can use your Mac to request document markup from your iPad or iPhone. As you add markup on your device, you see it happening live on your Mac. It's a great way to sign documents, correct papers, circle important details, and more.
- In the Finder on your Mac, find the PDF or image that you want to mark up. Then take one of these actions:
- Select the document, then press Space bar to open a preview window. Click the markup button at the top of the window.
- Or Control-click the document, then choose Quick Actions > Markup from the shortcut menu.
- From the markup toolbar at the top of the preview window, click the annotate button or click and select a device :
- A markup window opens on your device. You can now use an Apple Pencil or your finger with the sketch tools, or tap the plus sign and use the markup tools for adding text, a signature, a magnifier, or shapes and arrows.
- As you work on your device, the changes appear live on your Mac:
- When you're finished marking up the document, click Done on your device.
- To save the changes, click Done on your Mac.