Before you begin
- Make sure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
- To use the latest features of Notes, make sure that you set up Notes with iCloud or have your notes saved on your device. To set up Notes with iCloud, go to Settings > Notes > Default Account, then select iCloud. To set up Notes on your device only, go to Settings > Notes, then select "On My [device]" Account. Many features won't work with other email providers.
How to create a to-do list
- Open the Notes app.
- Tap the Compose button to create a new note.
- Enter a title and tap Return.
- Tap the Check button to start the list. Each time you tap Return, a new item is added to the list.
- Tap the empty circle to mark an item as complete.
To create a list in an existing note, place the cursor where you want to start. Then tap the Check button and create your list.
With iOS 13 and iPadOS, here are some ways to organize your lists:
- Reorder items with drag and drop.
- Swipe to indent items.
- Move checked items to the bottom automatically.
- Check or uncheck all items to start over.
Learn more about fomatting your notes to add titles, headings, and more.
How to share a list
- Opens the Notes app.
- Go to the note with the list, then tap the More button .
- Tap Share Note , and choose how you want to share.
Learn more about sharing your notes.
Do more with Notes
Learn more about Notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.