Explore the Music app
On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android device, navigate the Music app using the tabs at the bottom of the screen.
On Apple TV, swipe down on your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote to see the navigation menu.
In this tab, you'll find all of the music that you've added to your library. This includes songs from Apple Music, content matched from your other devices with iCloud Music Library, music that you bought from the iTunes Store, or songs that you imported from CDs or downloaded from other services.1
If you have an Android device, you must subscribe to Apple Music before you can listen to purchased or matched music.
If you have music downloaded to your device, tap Downloaded Music to see only that content and to listen without using cellular data or Wi-Fi.2
If you subscribe to Apple Music, you'll see what's new in music and what songs and videos are topping the charts in this tab. Here you can also watch music videos and find music video playlists. You can add and download any of this content to your Library.
If you don't subscribe to Apple Music, use the iTunes Store app to buy and download music instead.3
Listen to streaming radio from Beats 1, NPR, and other live stations4 in this tab. If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can also listen to genre-based radio stations or create your own. Learn more about Radio in Apple Music.
Use this tab5 to search for specific songs, albums, artists, playlists, lyrics6, and more. Tap the search field, then tap Apple Music or Your Library to switch between searching the entire Apple Music catalog or just your Library.
1. You can also sync music from iTunes on a computer using USB on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
2. You can't download items on Apple TV, but you can stream your content using Wi-Fi.
3. The iTunes Store app isn't available on Android. On Apple TV, you can't buy music. Use another Apple device with the same Apple ID instead.
4. The streaming radio stations that you can listen to without an Apple Music subscription might vary by country or region.
5. In the Apple Music app on Android devices, you can find Search in the upper-right corner of any tab.
6. Lyrics search is available only in certain countries and regions. Learn what's available in your country or region.
Listen to music
When you play music in the Music app on your iOS device or Android device, a player appears at the bottom of the screen. Tap the player to open Now Playing7 and access all playback controls.
On your Apple TV, find Now Playing in the menu at the top of the screen. On a Mac or PC, use iTunes to listen to and discover new music.
From Now Playing, you can control volume, play and pause music, fast forward through a song, skip a track, or go back a track. On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, you can also tap to change what device your audio plays to.
More ways to control your music
Control is at your fingertips—or voice. Ask Siri "what can I do?" to learn more about Siri commands for music and audio. You can also:
- Control audio that you're listening to from the Lock screen and Control Center on your iOS device.
- Control your music library or listen to Apple Music on your Apple Watch.
- Play music, podcasts, and audiobooks in your car with your iPhone.
7. On iPad in portrait mode, Now Playing is in the lower-right corner. On Apple TV, open the Music app, then swipe down on your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote to see Now Playing in the top menu bar.
8. Lyrics are not available for all songs.
Change your settings
On your iOS device, go to Settings > Music. There, you can adjust these settings:
- iCloud Music Library: If you subscribe to Apple Music or iTunes Match, turn this on to access your content across all of your devices. Learn more about iCloud Music Library.
- Cellular Data: Turn on or off the Music app's ability to stream music while your iPhone or iPad is connected to the Internet via a cellular connection and using cellular data.
- Downloaded Music: Control what's downloaded to your device.
You can also control certain features of Apple Music in the Music App on your iOS device or Android device. Go to For You, tap or your photo, tap your name, then tap Edit or View Account. From there, you can create or delete an Apple Music profile so that friends can follow what you're listening to and refine the suggestions that you see in Apple Music.