Stream video manually from iPhone or iPad
- Connect your device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV, AirPlay-compatible smart TV, or Mac.
- Find the video that you want to stream.
- Tap the AirPlay button . In some apps, you might need to tap a different button first.1 For example, in the Photos app, tap the Share button , then tap the AirPlay button .
- Choose your TV or Mac from the list.
To stop streaming, tap the AirPlay button in the app that you're streaming from, then tap your iPhone or iPad from the list.
Stream video automatically from iPhone or iPad
Depending on your AirPlay & Handoff settings, your iPhone or iPad can suggest or automatically connect to devices you regularly use with AirPlay.
To adjust your AirPlay & Handoff settings:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad with the latest version of iOS.
- Tap General.
- Tap AirPlay & Handoff, then tap Automatically AirPlay.
- Choose a setting.
- Never: Manually choose a device for AirPlay.
- Ask: Get suggested AirPlay connection notifications. Tap the suggested AirPlay connection notification to make the connection, or dismiss or ignore it and manually choose a different device for AirPlay.
- Automatic: Get suggested and automatic AirPlay connection notifications. Dismiss or ignore the automatic AirPlay connection notification, then tap play in the app you are using to use the connection. Or tap the undo button to quickly disconnect and manually choose a different device for AirPlay.
Your iPhone or iPad and your AirPlay-enabled device must be on the same Wi-Fi network before you can get automatic and suggested AirPlay connections. To get automatic and suggested AirPlay connections to your Apple TV or HomePod, make sure your Apple TV or HomePod is logged in to the same iCloud account as your iPhone or iPad.
Mirror your iPhone or iPad to a TV or Mac
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV, AirPlay-compatible smart TV, or Mac.2
- Open Control Center:
- On iPhone X or later or iPad with iPadOS 13 or later: Swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
- On iPhone 8 or earlier or iOS 11 or earlier: Swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen.
- Tap the Screen Mirroring button .
- Select your TV or Mac from the list.
- If an AirPlay passcode appears on your TV screen or Mac, enter the passcode on your iPhone or iPad.
To stop mirroring your iPhone or iPad, open Control Center, tap Screen Mirroring, then tap Stop Mirroring. Or press the Menu button on your Apple TV Remote.
- Some video apps might not support AirPlay. If you can’t use AirPlay with a video app, check the App Store on your Apple TV to see if that app is available.
- Find out which macOS versions and Mac models are compatible with AirPlay to Mac and learn how to set up your Mac to be an AirPlay receiver.