This article is for macOS Server administrators. If you forgot the password to log in to your Mac, learn how to reset the password of a macOS user account.
- On the Open Directory server, open Terminal and use this command:
ldapsearch -LLL -x -H ldap://127.0.0.1 -s base namingContexts
- In the output, look for the dc= entries, such as dc=ldap1,dc=example,dc=com. Note these entries.
- Log in to the server as an administrator.
- Open Terminal, then use the following command. Replace the sample dc= entries with the entries you noted before. Also, if the directory administrator account's uid is not diradmin, change the command accordingly.
sudo ldappasswd -x -H ldapi://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fldapi -S uid=diradmin,cn=users,dc=ldap1,dc=example,dc=com
- Enter your administrator account password when prompted.
- At the "New Password:" prompt, enter the new directory administrator password you want to use. Enter it again when prompted.