With Express Mode, you can use some of your cards, keys and passes in Apple Wallet without waking or unlocking your device, or authenticating with Face ID, Touch ID or your passcode. You may even be able to use your card, pass or key when your device needs to be charged.
Select Express Mode for a travel or payment card, pass or key
When you add an eligible travel card or other compatible card, pass or key to Apple Wallet, Express Mode is turned on by default. You can also change which card, pass or key is set to Express Mode.
- Multiple cards, passes and keys with Express Mode can be active in the Wallet app at the same time. For example, you can have one student ID and one car key each set to Express Mode.
- With some cards, passes and keys, you can't have multiple of the same type or from the same issuer set to Express Mode. For example, you can only have one student ID from the same university set to Express Mode.
- With some passes, you may be able to set multiple passes of that type to Express Mode.
- For public transport, you can set one travel card to Express Mode for each public transport network. You can also set a payment card that can be used to pay your fare in locations where your Express Travel card isn't accepted.
How to select Express Mode for a travel or payment card, pass or key on your iPhone
- Open the Wallet app and select a card, pass or key.
- Tap the More button , then tap Card Details.
- Tap Express Travel Settings or Express Mode.
- Select your preferred travel card, debit or credit card, or other compatible pass or key.
You can select a different travel or payment card for Express Travel Mode on your Apple Watch:
On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app. In the My Watch tab, tap Wallet & Apple Pay. Then tap Express Travel Card, select a travel or payment card and authenticate on your Apple Watch with your passcode.
Compatible cards, keys and passes
You can select Express Mode for compatible cards, keys and passes, including:
How to use Express Mode on your iPhone or Apple Watch
- Hold the top of your iPhone or the display of your Apple Watch near the contactless reader.
- When the transaction has completed successfully, a tick and "Done" will appear on your device. If you're using Express Mode with public transport, the terminal gate will open and may beep.
That’s it – no need to wake or unlock your device, authenticate with Face ID, Touch ID or your passcode, or open the Wallet app.
Use Express Mode with power reserve
You may be able to use your Express Mode cards, passes and keys on your iPhone even when your device needs to be charged. With compatible iPhone models, you may be able to use power reserve with some cards, passes and keys that have Express Mode turned on for up to 5 hours when your iPhone needs to be charged.
To see the cards, passes and keys available for use with power reserve, press the side button or the Home button when your iPhone needs to be charged. However, pressing the side button or Home button often may reduce the power reserve significantly. If you turn off your iPhone, this feature won't be available.