New in GarageBand for macOS 10.4.7
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the state of the mono/stereo selector in the Smart Controls inspector.
- The second, spurious button for Keyboard Sensitivity in Smart Controls is no longer present when using VoiceOver.
- GarageBand no longer remains stuck on the Guitar Lesson page if that page is open and a connected Apogee Hype MiC is unplugged.
- Intel Audio Unit plug-ins now load and function as expected.
- Audio from Voice Memos can now be dragged directly onto a track in GarageBand.
- Performing Bounce and Replace All Tracks with the Include Automation option deselected no longer mutes track-based automation on the destination tracks.
- Recording MIDI over an existing region in Replace mode no longer removes audio from other tracks at the same position in the time line.
- The tone slider for the Metronome now has more consistent control for newly created projects.
- The recording setting for overlapping regions no longer resets to Merge when GarageBand is restarted.
- The volume slider now remains visible and functional for all track header widths.
- When recording MIDI over an existing MIDI region in Replace mode, the exsiting MIDI recording is no longer unexpectedly audible.
- Choosing the Go to Left Locator and Go to Right Locator commands to move through a song project, may now be performed using key commands.
- For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222.
- GarageBand no longer quits unexpectedly when sharing to SoundCloud.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the state of the record button.
- Audio Units that use PACE copy protection now work in GarageBand.
- The graph in Channel EQ now displays the effect of the overall Gain setting.
- The key command Show/Hide Flex now works as expected.
- Smart Controls on a locked track now immediately display as active when the track is unlocked.
- Files can now be dragged directly from Music into GarageBand.
MIDI Controllers/Control Surfaces
- Lua scripts for external MIDI controllers now continue to work when Logic Remote is connected to GarageBand.
- The Piano Roll Notes tab now retains changes made to the Quantize value when a song is saved, closed and then re-opened.
- VoiceOver now reliably announces the state of controls in the GarageBand Preferences window.
- Plug-ins that use PACE copy protection now work properly with GarageBand.
- The values of Alchemy synth controls now update as the controls are adjusted.
- Resizing the Smart Controls or Editor window no longer causes selected tracks to lose focus.
- It is now possible to choose "None" in the Articulation Set pop-up menu.
- Undo now works after changing the Quantization value in the Piano Roll inspector.
- It is now easier to resize editor windows.
- Resolves an issue where the GarageBand startup screen was sometimes blank at launch.
- Eight Producer Packs with royalty-free sounds from today’s biggest hitmakers including Boys Noize, Mark Lettieri, Mark Ronson, Oak Felder, Soulection, Take A Daytrip, Tom Misch, and TRAKGIRL.
- Sound Packs feature slap house, modern ambient, and a collection of 808 drum kits, bass samples, and loops.
- Adds a total of 2800 loops, 50 kits, and 120 patches.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand no longer hangs when the Learn to Play window is opened while there is no network connection.
- GarageBand no longer displays a spinning wait cursor when dragging loops into a track from the Finder.
- Instances of Sampler in songs created on GarageBand for iOS and iPadOS now load properly when the song is opened in GarageBand for macOS.
- Software Instrument patches can now be filtered by Sound Pack name in the Patch Library.
- The Show/Hide Automation button now functions properly when there are no automation points currently in the track.
- Region-based automation in the Piano Roll editor is now dimmed when automation is disabled.
Learn to Play
- Resolves an issue in which Artist lessons might not output sound after a basic lesson was opened and played first.
- Replacing a movie file and then performing Undo no longer leaves the audio from the just-replaced movie.
Control Surfaces and MIDI Controllers
- GarageBand now provides LUA script support for developers of 3rd-party MIDI controllers.
- GarageBand no longer displays an Accessibility Access Event alert message when using VoiceOver to trigger a key on the Piano Roll keyboard.
- The Master Echo button no longer flashes unexpectedly when the Master button is clicked.
- MIDI Sustain events now respond correctly when starting playhead in any position on the timeline.
- This update contains stability improvements and security updates. Learn more about Apple security updates.
- Adjusting the Limiter level parameter in the Smart Controls no longer causes an unexpected drop in level.
- Plug-ins can now be opened in Controls view, which makes their functions available while using VoiceOver.
- The region header in the Audio Editor now updates correctly when a track is muted.
- Sounds from the 808 Bass collection now sound and play correctly.
- On the Region tab of the Audio Editor, Time Quantize for audio regions displays as expected after a take folder is deselected and then reselected.
New feature and enhancements
- Refined new design on macOS Big Sur.
- Improved performance and efficiency on Mac computers with Apple silicon.
- Allows customization of region colors in your tracks.
- Adds 1800 Apple Loops in a variety of genres including Hip-Hop, Chill Rap, Future Bass, New Disco, Bass House, and more.
- Adds over 190 instrument patches and 50 vintage and modern drum kits.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand no longer becomes unresponsive sometimes when dragging the top edge of the Smart Controls display.
- When GarageBand is on a secondary display, the app is now immediately visible when exiting from Full Screen mode.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when showing or hiding the Master Track.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when showing or hiding Automation.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when showing or hiding the Library.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when showing or hiding alignment guides.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when toggling snap to grid.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when performing zoom.
- Transposition now works reliably after dragging an audio Apple Loop to an empty portion of the Tracks area.
- Creating Apple Loops from regions now works in cases where the end of the region is close to the end of the song.
- When quantize is enabled for an audio region, the “Strength” setting automatically is set to 100.
- Choosing a different tab in a dual-tabbed Smart Control display now works reliably.
- Newly inserted instances of Space Designer now show the correct reverb length.
- If dragging a plug-in to a new position or empty slot, this will no longer reset customized settings back to default.
- GarageBand now displays an alert when an audio file that contains no tempo information is imported.
- GarageBand now displays a dialog when an audio file is imported containing tempo information into an empty project.
- GarageBand now properly opens .CAF files created by Voice Memos that have been shared to the Finder or Mail.
- When “Create Takes” mode is active, GarageBand will no longer display a “Circular Structure” error while recording MIDI over an existing Take folder that is covered by another region.
- The quantize menu now remains visible after Flex Time is turned off and then back on.
- The level meters for the Master Output in the Control bar now continue to function when the output is set to mono.
- Saving a song that contains a movie no longer causes GarageBand to display a dialog asking to replace to the movie file.
- Importing an audio file with the same name as an existing file in a song no longer overwrites the existing file.
• This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
- Smart Controls now work as expected on Mac computers that don't support Metal.
- The Loop Browser now allows you to filter by loop type.
- GarageBand no longer quits unexpectedly when the Intro to Guitar lesson is opened a second time in the same Learn to Play session.
- The keys on the keyboard in the Piano Roll are now the expected size.
- Open System-based windows in GarageBand now immediately change between Light and Dark mode when the mode is changed in the System Settings.
- The input level meter now works in the Learn to Play setup window.
- GarageBand no longer hangs when opening the Sound Library, the Note Pad, the Loop Browser, or the Media Browser when the Smart Controls are open.
- When opening GarageBand on a Mac in which the sound library has been moved using Logic Pro or MainStage, and the external drive containing the library is not connected, GarageBand now shows a dialog indicating the drive must be connected to access to sounds.
- It is now possible to reinstall the Sound Library in GarageBand after moving the library in Logic Pro or MainStage, and then disconnecting the external drive that contains the library.
- Impulse Response files for Chinese and Japanese traditional instruments are now correctly found when a GarageBand for iOS project is opened on macOS.
Learn to Play
- The Tuning Hint window now opens in Learn to Play lessons that feature non-standard tunings.
- Chords now display in the correct positions in the Chord Trainer.
- The Chord Trainer again provides visual feedback when correct and incorrect chords are played.
- GarageBand now supports drag and drop from Voice Memos.
- The Smart Controls Inspector now displays correctly in newly created projects.
- The LCD display now immediately updates to reflect undo or redo of key signature change.
- The GarageBand window now remains visible after exiting full screen mode.
- It is now possible to position the end of song marker with greater precision.
GarageBand for macOS 10.3.1
- Resolves an issue where third-party Audio Units and the PlatinumVerb plug-in could not be accessed.
GarageBand for macOS 10.3
New features and enhancements
- Two new Drummers play roots- and jazz-influenced brush styles.
- Over 20 free downloadable Artist Lessons show you how to play hit songs on piano and guitar, taught by the artist who made them famous.
- Includes 1,000 new electronic and urban loops covering Reggaeton, Future Bass, and Chill Rap.
- Includes 400 animal, transportation, and voice sound effects. Learn how to download the new sounds.
- Play and record using traditional instruments from China mainland and Japan with the Guzheng, Koto, and Taiko drums.
- Add classic sounds to your song with 5 Vintage Mellotron patches.
- Updates compatibility with GarageBand for iOS.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand no longer quits unexpectedly when loading certain patches created in Logic Pro.
- MIDI Pan data can now be edited in GarageBand.
- The Help Tag for the Marquee tool now shows the total length of the current selection as well as its start and end positions.
- Step editing of automation is now possible in the Piano Roll editor by pressing Command-Option.
- VoiceOver now announces the type of track that is selected in the New Track dialog.
- VoiceOver now speaks the names of tracks when interacting with regions in the tracks area.
- The size of plug-in windows no longer sometimes changes unexpectedly when switching to presets that contain a different number of controls.
- Enabling "Follow Tempo & Pitch" in the Region editor now also enables Flex in the Track Editor if it is not already active.
- GarageBand no longer unexpectedly sustains notes when using Musical Typing.
- Metronome volume and tone can be adjusted in the GarageBand Preferences.
- The GarageBand LCD again displays times down to milliseconds.
- Master Echo and Master Reverb bypass settings are now saved in GarageBand projects.
- Performing Undo after changing the key of a project now correctly returns Apple Loops to the original key.
- Software Instrument tracks now respond properly to MIDI input after Track Lock is disabled.
- It is now possible to record audio during playback.