Set up HomePod mini and HomePod
Place HomePod mini or HomePod on a solid surface with at least 6 inches of space around it.
- Plug HomePod mini or HomePod in to power. Wait for a chime and a pulsing white light to appear on the top of it.
- Unlock your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and hold it next to HomePod mini or HomePod. Tap Set Up when it appears on your device's screen.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to choose your settings. You can also customize and manage all of the settings for HomePod mini or HomePod in the Home app after setup.
- When asked, center HomePod mini or HomePod in the viewfinder on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to complete pairing. If you can't use your camera, tap Enter Passcode Manually and Siri will respond with a four-digit passcode to enter on your device.
- Wait for HomePod mini or HomePod to finish setup. Then Siri will greet you and give you a few examples of things you can ask.
If you don't see the setup screen, you can manually set up HomePod mini or HomePod. Open the Home app, tap the Add button , tap Add Accessory, tap Don't Have a Code or Can't Scan at the bottom, then tap HomePod and follow the onscreen instructions.
Learn what to do if you can't set up HomePod mini or HomePod.
You can't set up HomePod mini or HomePod with a Mac.
Control HomePod mini and HomePod
You can control HomePod mini or HomePod with the touch controls, the Home app, from Control Center, or by asking Siri.
Use touch controls
Tap the top of HomePod mini or HomePod to play, pause, or adjust the volume. The top of HomePod mini or HomePod also shows you when Siri is listening by displaying a multicolored light. Learn more about how to use the touch controls.
Use the Home app and Control Center
You can play and pause music playing on HomePod mini or HomePod in the Home app. Here's how:
- On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Open the Home app and tap HomePod.
- On Mac: Open the Home app and click HomePod.*
Want to do this from Control Center on your iOS or iPadOS device? Add the Home app to Control Center, then open Control center on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad and tap HomePod to quickly play and pause music.
*To use the Home app on Mac, update your Mac to macOS Big Sur or later.
Use Siri on HomePod mini or HomePod
From playing music to controlling your home, your voice is Siri's command. And, you don't need your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to be present to use Siri to play music, control your home, or to ask questions. Just say "Hey Siri," then make your request.
Siri can recognize the voices of up to six different family members on HomePod mini and HomePod. Each person needs their own iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, their own Apple ID, and must also be a member of the home in the Home app. You can set up HomePod and Siri to recognize your voice and enjoy music tailored to your taste, send and read messages, make phone calls, and more.
To learn some basic things you can ask, say "Hey Siri, what can you do?" Discover more things you can ask Siri.