VoiceOver User Guide
- What’s new in VoiceOver
- Use VoiceOver in the login window
- Change function key behaviour
- Make VoiceOver ignore the next key press
- Learn or mute VoiceOver sound effects
- Hear hints and information
- Use positional audio
- Interact with areas and groups
- Hear progress or status changes
- Select and deselect items
- Drag and drop items
- Use cursor tracking
- Use VoiceOver Utility
- Change voice settings
- Customise verbosity
- Customise punctuation
- Change how VoiceOver pronounces text and symbols
- Change what the VoiceOver rotor shows
- Create custom labels for UI elements
- Export, import and reset VoiceOver preferences
- Use VoiceOver portable preferences
- Use VoiceOver activities
Learn or mute VoiceOver sound effects on Mac
VoiceOver uses unique sound effects to denote events (such as a window opening) and locations (such as when you reach a border).
Note: VO represents the VoiceOver modifier. See Use the VoiceOver modifier.
Learn VoiceOver sound effects: Open the VoiceOver Help menu by pressing VO-H. Then use the arrow keys to navigate to Sounds Help.
Mute VoiceOver sound effects (without affecting the audio of other apps): Open VoiceOver Utility (press VO-F8 when VoiceOver is on), click the Sound category, then select the Mute sound effects tickbox.
If you’re using VoiceOver gestures, avoid muting sound effects. Hearing the blank space sound effect is very useful for determining where items are located on the desktop.