If this is your first time using the Apple TV app
Make sure that your device is compatible with the Apple TV app.
If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, you need to set up the Apple TV app first.
On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or Apple TV, the Apple TV app comes already installed. To use all of the latest features on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or Apple TV, update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, macOS, or tvOS.
Browse movies, TV shows, and more
On your device, open the Apple TV app, then choose a tab to find what you're looking for. Learn what to do if you can't stream or watch movies or TV shows with the Apple TV app.
Continue watching, find movies and TV shows, and add channels in the Watch Now tab
When you go to the Watch Now tab, you can pick up watching where you left off in the Up Next section. You can also add premium channels or access streaming apps in the Watch Now tab.
If you see Movies, TV Shows, Sports, and Kids at the top of the screen, you can select one to find something to watch:
- In Movies and TV Shows, you can browse titles, rent movies, buy movies and TV shows, and see recommendations.
- If Sports is available in your region, you can watch live coverage, browse by your favorite sport, or even select your favorite teams so you never miss a game.
- In Kids, you can browse titles, rent movies, buy movies and TV shows, and see recommendations based on age range and more.
Find your purchases and rentals in the Library tab
Other ways to get movies and TV shows
You can subscribe to your favorite premium channels in the Apple TV app, without downloading any apps.
Learn how to add other Apple TV channels.
You can also use your pay TV or cable provider to access programming in the Apple TV app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your Apple TV.
See how to use your TV provider on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch or your Apple TV.
Use controls for play, pause, subtitles, and more
- To find playback controls, open the Apple TV app on your device.
- Start watching something.
- Depending on your device, either tap the screen, move your mouse, tap the trackpad, or swipe down on the remote or press the down button.
Adjust the Apple TV app settings
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Open to the Settings app, then scroll down and tap TV.
On your Mac
Open the Apple TV app, choose TV from the menu at the top of your screen, then select Preferences.
On your Apple TV
Go to Settings, choose Apps, then select TV.
On your smart TV or streaming device
Open the Apple TV app and go to Settings.
From here, you can choose whether to use cellular data to stream movies and TV shows on applicable devices or see recommendations based on what you watch.